Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You'll need more food and water than you think.
9 July 2013, 00:15,
RE: You'll need more food and water than you think.
(8 July 2013, 17:57)Gizmo Wrote: Like has been mentioned the exersize seems a bit pointless but the actual topic is one that quite a few people seem to have problems with. Often people seem to underestimate their families food requirements or over estimate how much actual food they have in stock. To my way of thinking the simplest way of gauging how much you have is to count the calories of what you have and divide it by days and people, quite a few people just seem to look in their cupboards and say, yup, 3/6/9 months there, without actually working it out properly.

Just in case anyone thinks I am being harsh or bitching, i'm not. I did exactly the same when I first started storing food. I was quite confident I had at least 3 months food for my family, when I worked it out properly I had less than 1 month. And although not many people will ever admit to doing the same, I know for certain that at least 2 people I have met up with did do the same.

better make that 3 Gizmo, we did the same thing. we were surprised at the low caloric value of much of our food. Then we started stocking more basic dry stuffs such as rice, flour, oatmeal, etc. these things can be eaten seperately or combined with soups to boost caloric value. a little fried sweet bread dough is quick and easy and hign in calories. not something we eat much now since we're not trying to increase our caloric intake, but made some last weekend and wasnt half bad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: You'll need more food and water than you think. - by Rush2112 - 9 July 2013, 00:15