Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Term Storage
21 September 2016, 20:16, (This post was last modified: 21 September 2016, 20:19 by Mortblanc.)
Long Term Storage
I just bought the first long term shelf life foods I have messed with in 15 years.

After my first cycle of 25 year shelf life stuff went out of date, right at Y2K, I decided not to waste time and money on something I would never outlive. I started storing normal canned goods and rotating the supply constantly.

However, I got a good deal on some of the Mountain House stores a while back and bought some of the big #10 cans in contents that I know I can enjoy.

Freeze dried ground beef and scrambled eggs w/bacon crumbles. 22 servings per container. I can probably stretch it to more servings by using the ground beef sparingly, a spoonful at a time added to pastas, noodles, rice or instant spuds to add flavor.

They were on sale buy one get one 1/2 off, which puts the price per meal down to about what regular canned goods/canned meat cost and the powdered eggs were cheaper than most and I know the MH product tastes better than most.

Now the shelf life of these containers is 25 years and if I have not consumed them by the end of shelf life I will take note and open them on my ninety first birthday and have a good meal!

I anticipate that my grand children will scarf then down, after I am dead and gone, long before then.

I am now buying food I can not outlive!

Messages In This Thread
Long Term Storage - by Mortblanc - 21 September 2016, 20:16
RE: Long Term Storage - by CharlesHarris - 21 September 2016, 22:13
RE: Long Term Storage - by harrypalmer - 22 September 2016, 08:33
RE: Long Term Storage - by Jonas - 22 September 2016, 16:02
RE: Long Term Storage - by CharlesHarris - 22 September 2016, 22:01
RE: Long Term Storage - by Mortblanc - 23 September 2016, 06:48
RE: Long Term Storage - by harrypalmer - 23 September 2016, 11:13
RE: Long Term Storage - by CharlesHarris - 23 September 2016, 16:57