Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A family living remotely in Alaska.
14 April 2017, 04:26,
RE: A family living remotely in Alaska.
One of the strange things I have noticed through my life is that women live the place!

I have known dozens of women that were married to Air Force men who were transferred to AK. They whined and cried and declared they would die in the arctic and after they got there they found that they loved the place.

My MIL was a reluctant AF wife transferred up there and my wife spent her first 2 years in AK. My MIL never liked the place but after living in all 50 states for at least a short time my FIL declared that she had never found a place she did like and he quit worrying about her b!%$hing.

One woman told me she had never been happy since they were transferred back to the lower 48 and had a permanent craving for caribou burgers and moose meat that would never be fulfilled.

She claimed there was nothing that compared to the joy of opening your deep freeze and seeing a ton of meat that had cost you only the price of a hunting license.

Several of the couples retired back to AK, but not to live in the bush, just in the suburbs of Fairbanks or some such place.

Even the suburban Alaskan is expected to kill his own food, cut the winter wood and take care of their own needs and be prepared for power outages at -50 if necessary.

Messages In This Thread
A family living remotely in Alaska. - by sethorly - 10 April 2017, 08:45
RE: A family living remotely in Alaska. - by Mortblanc - 14 April 2017, 04:26