Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HARD WINTER ?
24 October 2019, 17:51,
HARD WINTER ?
Every year, around this time October/November , there are always reports or talk of a hard bad winter......I recently posted about one thing I read about some where …..about a hard winter this year and as bad as 1963 (which I remember well) that was real bad !....if indeed it does come to pass we will need to get ourselves ready and prepared ! NOBODY will be going anywhere.....the local (red&white bus company)as known back then would leave the buses ticking over all night to ensure they would not freeze …..and even cut ventilated windows into the gable walls at the top of the apex of the garage, even then the service (where that was possible) was nearly none existent , people were on foot to get to work, crops froze in the fields along with livestock....food was in short supply where trucks could not deliver to the local shops (no super markets back then except the co'op ) .

On the up side most all households had fire places ….and coal to burn...for a while at least , but firewood was also available and plenty of it here in the south wales valleys if you walked to go get it .

Power outages were regular and pleas were made to reduce your usage as much as possible to reduce the dwindling coal supply at the power stations ….mother even spread newspaper in between the blankets to keep us warm.....under the stairs was cwt sack of potatoes , onions hanging on a hook off one of the stair treads , swede and parsnips and carrots in a wicker trunk …..pickled onions , chutney, pickled cabbage , leg of ham , and some bacon hanging from another stair tread......the coal cot was always well stocked along with the firewood shed , we even had a gallon of lamp oil and loads of candles.....the milk girls from the local farm only missed one day .

SO SS what the point of the thread ? …...today I ran into Ted ...about the same age as me ……"have you heard about this coming winter ...as bad as 63 " ……..yes I did read that somewhere …."aye and my big toe can confirm it to pal " AND old Sam down the allotments says its going to be a hard one this year.....so there then ! are you still drinking that cider in that hideaway down that allotments Ted ? I ask ...No butty I been a diebrexit for the past 3 years ….don't do cider or anything else these days , so based on that data ...and toe tech of the first kind …..I think it would be most prudent to pay close attention to Sam and Teds big toe in particular, so as preppers we are all pretty much up to speed already ….but it would not hurt to stash a bit more by this year …..just in case ……..if is as bad as 1963 you will need to be fully cocked believe me.....most all rely on a three day turn around in the modern world ….this will NOT be the case at ALL if 63 comes around again ….trust me …..if anyone on here can remember 63 take a few minutes to tell us .

Messages In This Thread
HARD WINTER ? - by Straight Shooter - 24 October 2019, 17:51
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Pete Grey - 24 October 2019, 23:29
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Mortblanc - 25 October 2019, 15:40
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by CharlesHarris - 25 October 2019, 22:13
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Pete Grey - 26 October 2019, 21:52
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Mortblanc - 27 October 2019, 15:56
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Straight Shooter - 27 October 2019, 19:18
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Skean Dhude - 28 October 2019, 17:54
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Straight Shooter - 28 October 2019, 20:16
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Pete Grey - 29 October 2019, 00:58
RE: HARD WINTER ? - by Pete Grey - 5 November 2019, 21:40