Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rethinking the Grey Man
12 August 2020, 11:08,
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man
I agree, SS. Once an event escalates, I think there'll effectively be a mob so desperate they won't care who you are and what you do - all they'll want is any food or drugs you might have. How we cope with THAT stage is really what we're all prepping for.

I guess the 'grey man' bit is really for the early stages, when at least I think it'll buy us time. Blending in now makes sure we're not the first target - we might be the 20th, but that gives us time to bug out or sort our defences, depending on what our plan might be.

In fact, I don't think it's just about blending in, but also about deflecting resentment. Anyone who looks rich, comfortable or well provided for is definitely going to be a target - of hate, as much as desperation.

As an example, I had a potential problem with that with online shopping. I've been aware for a long time that while online groceries won't survive long into an Event, in the early period of shortages they'll be a lifeline over which people will fight tooth and nail. For that reason I took the prepping precaution of registering years ago with no fewer than four companies, and have divided my shopping among them ever since - thus ensuring 'loyalty access' in times of increased demand. This, of course, is exactly what happened, and while most people were scrabbling round desperately to get 'slots', I had deliveries all through the early stages, until my 'vulnerable status' ensured them through the rest. All well and good - but I could see almost immediately the resentment in the eyes of neighbours who couldn't get deliveries, and the way they watched every bag going in with narrowed and envious eyes. This was dangerous, so what I did was take orders from my neighbours, asking them if they wanted anything addded to the delivery for themselves. I was already doing this for my elderly and very vulnerable next-door neighbours, so nobody felt patronised and everyone was suddenly grateful and happy. Of course the supermarket often hadn't got what they wanted (flour, cornflour, sanitiser, loo roll etc) but they knew I tried, and the shortages also made it clear to them that I too was going without. That danger has passed now, but if the situation had really deteriorated then I think I did well to defuse what could have been a nasty situation.

None of us know how it'll play out in reality, but I think I'm basically a bit of a coward and will take every precaution I possibly can - just in case!

Messages In This Thread
Rethinking the Grey Man - by Little Lou - 11 August 2020, 09:30
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Skean Dhude - 11 August 2020, 10:29
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Little Lou - 11 August 2020, 14:13
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Skean Dhude - 13 August 2020, 15:53
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Little Lou - 13 August 2020, 18:04
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Straight Shooter - 11 August 2020, 16:03
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Little Lou - 12 August 2020, 11:08
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by MaryN - 12 August 2020, 20:13
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Little Lou - 13 August 2020, 17:52
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Skean Dhude - 13 August 2020, 20:39
RE: Rethinking the Grey Man - by Mick - 8 February 2021, 14:58