Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-bore Vickers Boxlock - 1930s
7 April 2021, 23:58,
RE: 12-bore Vickers Boxlock - 1930s
Not so much over here.

Most farm pest here are taken at longer ranges and the firearm of choice in most farm trucks is an AR so they can reach out 200-400 meters and take more than one target at a time. Coyotes often travel in packs.

The view out my back door is 300 meters to the trees and out the front is 200 to the top of the rise. A shotgun just makes noise at those ranges.

Often there is a shotgun near the house or barn for close in work, but it will most likely be a pump action from Remington or Mossberg, occasionally an autoloader.

Price is one reason. There are very few "cheap doubles" over here. You can buy three pump guns for the price of one good double so they are often relegated to "special use" at the trap and skeet ranges. Those games are set up with two shots as the standard, so they fit well. Pest control often calls for larger magazine capacity.

And doubles do go out of order, I have repaired many of them that were seized up on bent hammer pins and cocking levers and even slight rust will stop them. Repairing that requires the knowledge and tools of a gunsmith.

If I drop my Mossberg in the creek I just drain the water out and spray it with carb cleaner, then WD40. Taking it apart is a two minute job without tools.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 12-bore Vickers Boxlock - 1930s - by Mortblanc - 7 April 2021, 23:58
RE: 12-bore Vickers Boxlock - 1930s - by HERNE - 9 June 2022, 20:00