Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNOW
31 December 2017, 19:28,
RE: SNOW
I think the impact of snow will depend quite a lot on whether it is "dry" or "wet". I have been in temperatures of -25 deg in Norway and because it has been dry cold, felt very little discomfort. Wear the correct clothing for the weather you are experiencing. On the other hand, we have had a few days of the wet snow here in East Anglia and it was very unpleasant. Just dashing from garage to chicken coop to feed the feathery girlies was something I had to psych myself up to. (Mind, I had just come out from a cosy house where a glass of something nice was waiting for me, so I was a bit grumpy!).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
31 December 2017, 20:30,
We missed the brunt of it Mary ....wind and rain last night....raining now and a bit windy.....Chestnuts are roasting away ..and a glass of apricot wine just waiting on Jools Holland......in the meantime its KISS CHASE .....and she's not running !
2 January 2018, 20:14,
Just plain old miserable cold now.

-20c this morning.

I was under the house crawling about dealing with a frozen drain line but I waited until it warmed up to -10 for that. My incoming water does not freeze but the out going lines do.

I have them wrapped with heat tape but some moron had unplugged the tape, and since I am the only one that has been under there in 10 years it must have been my own work.

I was under there chasing the frozen section with a heat gun after I plugged the heat tape back in but I did not catch the right spots and the tub drain is still frozen. I decided to wait until tomorrow to go back under. It is supposed to warm up to -5c so I will be careful for signs of heat stroke.
3 January 2018, 10:04,
Gales and rain last night ...BIG TIME .....debris about the place ...just off to walk around the ground to check out the trees.
3 January 2018, 13:52,
My sympathies on having to crawl around under the house to unfreeze the drains MB.

Here we're built onto the rock with drains channelled through it... and so far we've not had freeze problems.

We'd normally be well below zero here by now, but this year big Atlantic depressions are pushing comparatively warm air over us, albeit accompanied by strong winds.

Strong winds from the West tend to defeat the draught excluders on our traditional wooden framed windows, so although the air is warmer its feeling pretty chill here too at the moment. As per Mary's note, higher humidity makes the cold far more cutting than the thermometer would have us expect.

Hope conditions improve for you soon.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 January 2018, 19:39,
After my little walk about, one tree down on the drive (small) re purposed it, two trees down in the bottom wood (big buggers ) fair bit of work there but they are Ash ....great ! picked up and cleaned up some stuff that tried to escape....tied up a pile of stuff (just in case).
4 January 2018, 15:12,
Another tree uprooted around 6 am today , major surgery this one.
4 January 2018, 18:09,
(4 January 2018, 15:12)Straight Shooter Wrote: Another tree uprooted around 6 am today , major surgery this one.

Good job you’ve go your wood burner SS, I hope you don’t have any more down until you’ve delt with others.
4 January 2018, 19:34,
This mornings tree has now been sorted with a little help from some friends
there are a few more that WILL have to be felled do not like the lay of them, the others down the bottom wood can wait till the weather improves.

The petrol power barrow holds third of a tonne 4x4 will be a big help ...i will log up load up straight up to the hydraulic splitter and stack out in the drying bay i reckon there will be enough for the sil and i for two years or more, very handy Pete.
1 January 2020, 18:14,
Hear we are, 2020 is here, and as yet this winter we’ve had no snow, it’s not even been really cold just very wet,

We really feel sorry for these flooded out, some things are beyond the scope individuals can prevent and prep for.

Let’s hope we have some cold dry weather, proper winter weather, we will know where we are and we will feel better for it.