Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bread and other things.
14 July 2012, 12:29,
Bread and other things.

NR's thread on the US drought (see http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=2103) Has got me thinking.
Now, bread flour is approx £1.30 for 3lb, the cheapest plain flour is 52p for the same amount. I appreciate the wheat these flours are milled from are different, the gluten content in hard wheat for breadmaking is much higher than the soft wheat used for baking. Sooo, I'm going to do a few experiments over the next couple weeks to try and find the perfect percentage strong to ordinary flour to make a still good loaf, but reducing the cost.
The other thing, I will try is adding wheatbran to the 52p flour.
In a previous experiment, I found that 52p flour from Lidl produces the best results for baking. All of the major supermarkets own basics brand do not perform well at all.

Will keep you all informed! Smile

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
14 July 2012, 12:38,
RE: Bread and other things.
I am building up my flour stock, what's the best way to ensure you don't get weevils in it? Does freezing it for a few days first help?

I've been buying Tescos Value plain flour but will switch to Lidle's after reading your comments!
14 July 2012, 12:45, (This post was last modified: 14 July 2012, 12:56 by TOF.)

I've never kept my flour long enough to have problems, BoB. I do a lot of baking and flour is rotated out pretty regularly, as are all my staples. I have heard freezing it for 24hrs will reduce bugs, but I don't think any method is infallible.
Meant to add, it's recommended to store whole grains and grind flour as you need it for long term storage. Some members already do this, I think.

14 July 2012, 13:06,
Blimey!! we buy "Wessex Mill" 6 seed flour...£2.21 per bag, yes i know it costs more but we like the taste of the bread, used to buy Lidl's cheapo bread flour but didnt like the taste!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 July 2012, 13:18, (This post was last modified: 14 July 2012, 13:21 by NorthernRaider.)
I think it was Diamond Lil on one of the other forums who found a link to a US site that tells us to put our paper bags of flour into plastic bags unopened and freeze it for at least 24 hours which kills off any weavil eggs ( all known wevil species) I keep mine in paper bags in plastic tubs in a cool cupboards under the stairs and recently opened a couple of bags of bread making flour that was well out of date by many months and it was fine.
The only long term way to ensure you have flour it to buy grain unilled in sealed containers, then mill it yourself when you need it. IIRC months ago we discussed this and one of our members was dealing with a milling company, grain supplier in Cumbria who had everything we need so try our links section.

14 July 2012, 13:25,

If I could afford it, I'd buy Marriages flours. However, I can't, so I'm constantly experimenting to make the best of what I can afford. I can see it coming soon when a half decent loaf will top £2.00 and I would rather go without than eat that pretend sliced stuff.
I want to be ahead of the game and still be able to have a loaf.
How much do you store of the Wessex Mill seeded flour BP?

14 July 2012, 13:27,
usually 3, maximum 4 bags at any one time, without any problems.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 July 2012, 13:33,
(14 July 2012, 13:27)bigpaul Wrote: usually 3, maximum 4 bags at any one time, without any problems.

So you don't keep a large stock in case of problems? What would you do if TSHF? I generally have 20-30lbs stored.

14 July 2012, 13:35,
Wifey prefers Allinsons and Bero flours we have 24 pounds under the stairs along with 5 KG tubs of rice which apparently can be ground into flour as both wheat and rice are types of grass.

14 July 2012, 15:34, (This post was last modified: 14 July 2012, 15:38 by bigpaul.)
(14 July 2012, 13:33)TOF Wrote:
(14 July 2012, 13:27)bigpaul Wrote: usually 3, maximum 4 bags at any one time, without any problems.

So you don't keep a large stock in case of problems? What would you do if TSHF? I generally have 20-30lbs stored.
go without!Big Grin we dont have the storage room.

(14 July 2012, 15:34)bigpaul Wrote:
(14 July 2012, 13:33)TOF Wrote:

go without!Big Grin we dont have the storage room.
no, i'd probably go and clear out the health food shop in an emergency! who else but a prepper is going to store flour? while everybody else is clearing the supermarket shelves of store bread!