Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shipping Container Practicalities
27 March 2012, 13:33,
Shipping Container Practicalities
Right, this is a weird one (nothing strange there then).

Does anyone have experience of working with shipping containers as a means of building a bunker/shelter?

Obviously there will be the problem of rust and things like that. But what about other things, like shipping them to site and all that? Load bearing capabilities? That kind of thing?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 March 2012, 15:09,
RE: Shipping Container Practicalities
I had given this thought. BUT then I read this. http://www.containerhome.info/undergroun...iners.html It's not quite as simple as digging a hole and sliding a container in there.

Once I have myself sorted out, I'm looking to get a company to make me an Anderson Shelter!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
27 March 2012, 15:11,
instead of burying it in a hole, couldn't you just bank it over a bit like an earthship?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2012, 16:48,
A few years back, (05/06) had a shipping container for an office on a project I was on for six weeks.

Some things learnt.

1. Plan where you're going to put it first. Unless you like twenty people taking most of the day to move it six feet to the left.

2. Fill in EVERY hole, it's amazing how even a draught from a 2mm hole can get on someone's nerves (doubly so for a hole in the roof)

3. It's made of thin steel- tough round the edges, but the middle of the roof is not that strong, and will deform if you walk on it. or kick footballs on the sides.

4. If you are going to put a window in strengthen around it so that the roof doesn't sag down around it (or someone doesn't just take the perspex out and nick the gear inside)

5. Put a proper floor in- the one it has will get damp over time, and is definitely not level. Also will stop lifeforms getting in through the holes you forgot about.

6. Remember to carry some WD-40 to get the door open. they will stick.

7. Work out where things will go first so that you don't have extension cables going over the toilet for example.

It was a decent enough shelter for a short time- wouldn't want to live in though.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
27 March 2012, 19:44,
(27 March 2012, 15:11)bigpaul Wrote: instead of burying it in a hole, couldn't you just bank it over a bit like an earthship?

Oddly enough mate, I'm thinking of putting one under an Earthship, as a reinforced "wine celler".
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 March 2012, 21:44,
Dont forget if somebody sets fire to your earthship your "wine cellar" becomes a lovely big dutch oven with you in it unless you have an escape hatch....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
29 July 2012, 10:10,
i have just been pricing up shipping containers with the idea of turning one into a root celler , rust is not a problem as they are designed to withstand sea water , the major problem is reinforcing them with cross beams and keeping groundwater out. i found this artical on just the subject of burying a shipping container might have to rethink the root celler