Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of fitness training will be the best?
19 November 2012, 18:50,
What type of fitness training will be the best?
Been thinking this for a while but if the shtf and you need to bug out then obviously you'd need to b fit?
But what would be the best fitness training to do?
There's the common just go running as far as possible and keep trying to better it
But there is also training like high intensity interval training which I think would be good because you might have to increase the pace of your walk or run if hunting or being chased ect?
What does everyone think?
19 November 2012, 18:54, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 19:03 by Scythe13.)
RE: What type of fitness training will be the best?
Cross-Fit

Problem is, I'm too vain. So love a bit of good old bodybuilding too haha.
Even though I did answer very quickly.

It all depends on where you are and where you want to be able to be, as well as your timescales to get there!

For some people, trying to keep up with me would kill them. Same as me trying to keep up with some others.

But it all depends on what you want.

For me, I figured it's best to be in the top 10% of the population for overall fitness and strength. That's shockingly easy, because so many people are unfit. I know there will always be someone faster, fitter, stronger, etc. But there will be few with the same overall capabilities to the extent that I have. That's not boasting! That's just stating a fact.

Most people have an issue running 5 miles. Most people have a problem running 10 miles. Most people have a problem benching 100kg (I don't hit a perfect 8 reps with that, but I don't include the weight of the bar in my numbers). Most people can't swim underwater for 25 meters.

At the end of the day, trying to be the very best at everything will HUGELY overtrain you! I learned this the hard way. My wife's brother is superfit and hit a migraine in his last half marathon (that he cycled over 30 miles to). He couldn't see properly from mile 8 until the end of the race, and still came in second place. The winner made a new record, and the guy in 3rd was unseen after the first 2 miles, according to my B-in-Law. So he just ran a training run with people cheering and clapping for him! I know I couldn't beat him in a race over 1 mile, and it would be 50/50 if I could beat him to the 1 mile mark. But his level of training is wearing on him. My knees click from leg pressing 1000+lbs.

Think about what capabilities you want, then work towards them.

If anyone says they plan to use stealth instead of fitness, just laugh at them. Being fit allows for better stealth!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 November 2012, 22:32,
Thanks for the advice
I suppose that as long as ur keeping ur body as fit as you can without overtraining you'll still be better than most
I'm the same as you when it comes to gym but vanity isn't always that bad a thing ha ha
19 November 2012, 23:55,
Different excersise will tone different muscles, and a lot will depends on your age,.. for instance I am old enough not to want to run anywhere,... but I have three German Shepherds that need walking every day, try and find an excersise that is enjoyable or fits in with something else you enjoy, if not then most people get fed up and it slackens off.

Personaly I dont think that you need to be super fit,... during the Faulklands war it was found that the fitness instructors were the first to suffer fitness wise, because the Island was cold, and the instructors had no insulation,.. where as the man who had just that little bit of surplus faired much better.

A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 November 2012, 09:55,
I knew of some one in the military who had a saying, he did not want greyhounds, he wanted mountain goats, in other words the the fittest and fastest didnt survive, he wanted sloggers who were physically and mental strong enough to just keep going who would keep going regardless of the load or the conditions.
As far as I'm concerned keeping fit has to be part of your life style something that you do everyday and not something that you have to plan to do, i.e. cycle to work, hand sawing logs instead of using a chain saw, walk to the shops rather than use the car.
My main tip would be always walk briskly, I was a house husband for awhile and daily took the kids to school, the unfit and overweight walk slowly the fit and thin walk quickly,... just my little obsevation.
20 November 2012, 10:42,
The NHS do a good free podcast called "couch to 5K." Its designed for total newbs who havent run in years/ old/ hated P.E. in school. It just builds you up gradually , 3 runs a week for 7 - 8 weeks; the podcast is like a personal trainer, telling you when to run and when to walk

There are a few good programs online as well that build you up slowly until you can do 100 press ups, 200 squats, 25 pullups etc.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
6 December 2012, 23:42,
Personally I'm not a runner, I do what I have to do to pass my fitness test each year and that's it. Likewise I can never imagine a time when I will need to bench press a perfectly formed barbell 10 times or indeed try to wrestle a cable machine to the floor repeatedly.
Combat strength and fitness are much more desirable in real life situations and thus I train for this. Axe swings (with a medicine ball tied to a rope), weighted drags, farmers walks, lifting dead weights onto your shoulders (as in a fireman's carry of an unconscious person), tractor tyre flips, and a lot of body weight callisthenics will keep you lean and strong without bulking you up or thinning you out like a marathon runner. And all achievable with very little cash or equipment.
Cardio is very important. I don't see the point of training to run 30 miles in shorts and vest when you have a 40lb pack and family in tow. Training for reality is my thing.
6 December 2012, 23:57,
Walk, cycle and chop firewood.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 December 2012, 23:58,
Don't underestimate yoga. Being flexible seriously reduces your chances of picking up an injury doing long strenuous work outdoors
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
7 December 2012, 00:16,
Hi, I have put together a small gym at home, weight bench, treadmill ect. I am wanting to use them despratly. but the problem i
have is starting to train. i am forever putting it off,always something else to do. i am not lazy, but seem to have a mental block.
is this just me or are other people the same? and do you have a cure?