Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dangerous horse burgers
25 January 2013, 20:34,
RE: dangerous horse burgers
(25 January 2013, 10:13)iaaems Wrote: Someone somewhere has decided that it is fit and proper for the public in general to consume a composite food - if you can call burgers food.
They have come up with an 'acceptable' recipe and issued guide lines for the 'food processors'.
I am more than a little concerned about this. Do all of us have time to read what is on the labels of these products when we are shopping? Do we understand the labelling 'jargon' in the first place? Can we all afford to purchase the more expensive and possibly more nutritional food in the shops? Who gave these people the right to decide what is acceptable on our behalf?
Ooops - rant - sorry.

It is up to you as consumer to decide what you put in your body. If you do not take the time to look at what you are putting in your body, more the fool you (not directed at you btw). If you do not understand the label, perhaps you should not be eating the product.

Can we afford to buy better food? Of course we can. Go and buy your average super market or freezer centre frozen thing, meat pie for example. For the weight of meat in it, you could buy at least three times as much raw meat from an identifiable cut.

The consumer decided they wanted 'Economy', 'Value' or as I call it 'Shit' sausage. They wanted a product that did not decrease in size, but was a lot cheaper. Look at the price of a microwavable burger, then look at the price or organic lean steak mince. The organic lean steak mince is cheaper lb for £.

Look at the cost of microchips. 37.5p / 100g. Potatoes are 7-10p per 100g and that is just checking one supermarket. I would wager I can get them for less than half that if I buy a 45lb bag from the fruit and veg shop.

Dumb people believed in the cack peddled by the boys in the Ad departments. I would not question "can people afford to eat better" but "would people divert none essential spending to better food?" I would wager they would not.

I would also wager people would rather eat ding food than spend the time cooking so they can watch x-factor, go to zumba or what ever it is that they do.
25 January 2013, 21:34,
BDG:- Yes I totally agree with what you are saying. I suppose that the great majority of the population have put their trust in the establishment and are busy doing their own thing without realising what has been happening over the years. Perhaps the recent 'burgergate' issue might just wake one or three up - I hope so.
Rant over.
25 January 2013, 22:27,
(25 January 2013, 21:34)iaaems Wrote: BDG:- Yes I totally agree with what you are saying. I suppose that the great majority of the population have put their trust in the establishment and are busy doing their own thing without realising what has been happening over the years. Perhaps the recent 'burgergate' issue might just wake one or three up - I hope so.
Rant over.

Perhaps, perhaps not. As we saw from the news article, one of the first thing that happens is that the Legislation party say we need to do X, Y and Z. All because last year, some horses that were killed in abattoirs had been given drugs. The checks and balances in place stopped them reaching the food chain, had they ever been destined for it anyway.

An outcry because BK stopped doing business with a company and got rid of its product after it had said there was no risk - well, that is probably down to contracts and the threat of litigation. If BK thought the product was safe, first instinct is to say it is safe. After having a good old think about it, they probably decided they did not like the supplier ran their business - how could they reasonably say to the company we want to break contract but we will sell what we have? It is going to cost BK very little to get rid of stock - they will either not pay suppliers or write it off through tax.

All the newspaper are showing is how business decisions can take days, where as safety decisions take time. The risk of potentially consuming horse flesh tainted with a drug and it causing you harm is tiny. Much more risk from the products people ignore the risk from - over processed crap, corn syrup, sausages that are mostly bread nastyness.

You want to get away from crap food, make your own. You want ham, salami, salt beef, sausage, bacon or your own variations on ham - these are the processed foods that are not so bad to eat - plenty of suppliers that will sell you what you need and you can buy decent meat many places and make your product for a fraction of the price in the supermarket, at a deli, at a butchers or where ever.

For as long as I can remember, we have had food scares. All that has ever come out of them is legislation and public fear and a dependence on what is in a plastic or cardboard box and can go straight in the oven or microwave. Safer you see.

This food will be more responsible for more deaths than fatty natural foods or 'unhygienic' food.

Rant myself.
26 January 2013, 10:32,
many years ago, after watching the HFW programme about supermarket chicken(at the time the ONLY meat we were buying in supermarkets-now we buy none) we started buying chickens from a local smallholder, OK it cost us more(Tesco's were selling 2 for £5 or £6 at the time) but the taste was INSTANTLY noticeable.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 January 2013, 07:23,
I am now a semi-vegetarian, I no longer eat meat but consume a lot of fish obtained locally. I feel a great deal better for it. A friend of mine, says that for my age, I am the fittest man locally. Kenneth Eames.
27 January 2013, 21:43,
good for you kenneth! nice to hear it pal