Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bladerunner Slashproof Hoodie Review
5 March 2013, 09:03,
Bladerunner Slashproof Hoodie Review
Hi everyone.

Just reading Manda's armour thread and remembered I was asked to do a review on my BL Hoodie. Can't remember who asked for it, but my apologies it's so late in the making.

Product: Bladerunner Hoodie
Cost: Part of a multi item discount (ind cost £75ish)
Weight: 2 normal hoodies
Comfort rating: 5*

This hoofie was part of a multi-buy package a friend got for me when opening a security firm. It worked and I did do some work for him on doors. I'm easily bought haha.

Okay, on with the review.

The hoodie is in black, very comfortable, and because of the internal lining, makes you look bigger than you already are. In a crowd, it could make you stand out...but nobody wants to mess with you for standing out.

What more do you want to know? Yes, I thought so. You want to hear about getting cut up hu? I'll get on to that.

The hoodie is internally lined with kevlar. The outer material is like a normal hoodie, under that is the kevlar lining. Under the kevlar is a stupid mesh thing that reminds me of the mesh you have in swimming trunks. Okay, it's not a stupid mesh, it has a purpose, and is pretty comfortable, but I hate how it reminds me of swimming trunk ball hammock mesh stuff.

As most of you know, kevlar is a pretty strong material. Coated in fiberglass it's magically transformed into near bullet proof stuff. Kevlar is, however, still a cloth like material and can be cut (how do you think it's put into clothing?). This means that kevlar is actually slash proof and not stab proof. Sorry to disappoint. Having said that, a moving object is more likely to be slashed than stabbed (if you move fast enough).

The best way to test how good a slash proof hoodie is, have a knife swung at you.

I used this exact testing method.

Had a friend get a super sharp knife, he opted for a Stanley knife and changed the blade to a brand new one, just to make sure it was a good test. I have the best friends haha. Next up I turned the hoodie inside-out. That way the stupid swimming material will get cut and hopefully not the outside material. And then......on with the festivities!!! Oh and if you're wondering, damn right I was wearing the hoodie at the time! Wouldn't be a fair test of penetration depth otherwise.

Well, one slash and 8 stitches later........haha, I'm kidding. The kevlar stopped the blade nice and smoothly. I still felt it slash me, and I still wee'd a little in fear (haha, I joke again......) but the blade was stopped. Upon closer inspection, the kevlar was pretty clean still. The swim material was sliced perfectly, but kevlar was good as new.

Okay, there are some downsides to the hoodie. One of which is that the hood isn't lines. Which means, for better protection above the shoulders, you'll have to opt elsewhere.

After a year, the string in the hood has managed to wear through the hood material.

Other than that, it's my go to hoodie for most things. Warm as can be, super comfortable, and highly recommended.

One of the best things about 'armoured' clothing is the way it looks. Extra size, extra security, means extra confidence. Extra confidence means a trip to the hospital! The god complex many people get when in armoured clothing often gets them hurt.

All in all, this hoodie is brilliant!

Reinforce the hood, and you've got a winner!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 March 2013, 10:24,
RE: Bladerunner Slashproof Hoodie Review
yeah seen them they also do a lot of other products http://www.bladerunner.tv/mens-hooded-to...a94e096011
5 March 2013, 10:30,
Daft question is it machine washable? Your right about over confidence whilst wearing armour.
5 March 2013, 10:52, (This post was last modified: 5 March 2013, 10:54 by Scythe13.)
(5 March 2013, 10:30)Metroyeti Wrote: Daft question is it machine washable? Your right about over confidence whilst wearing armour.

Yes it's machine washable.

(5 March 2013, 10:24)Tigs Wrote: yeah seen them they also do a lot of other products http://www.bladerunner.tv/mens-hooded-to...a94e096011

I did have a large black jumper and some leather bearing knuckle gloves too. Gave the jumper to a friend (my neck got too big for it) and I still have the gloves.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 March 2013, 16:17,
(5 March 2013, 10:52)Scythe13 Wrote: Gave the jumper to a friend (my neck got too big for it) and I still have the gloves.

Fat neck small hands? Big Grin Big Grin Tongue Tongue Big Grin Big Grin