Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After Society Collapses.
8 March 2013, 11:10,
After Society Collapses.
Laying in bed the other night my thoughts turned, like they do at times, to the ‘what if’ scenarios.
I started to think, I know it's dangerous, keeping it to the UK, for that is where I live, what would I do if I had no near family to consider, if I was on y own.
Would I want, at least initially, to go walk about to see what had happened elsewhere and who might be still left around the country or would I just stay put or at least in the locality.
If I attempted to see what had happened elsewhere the best I could hope for would be to use a bicycle to get around, to start with, but even they will have their problems, like punctures, so I may well end up having to walk.
But I came up with three questions.
1. Would I even want to do this? Keep in mind that I am on my own and have no family to consider.
2. What may I find?
3. Where would I want to go, would I want to see any particular places?
I came up with many thoughts from what major cities and towns may be like to what sort of people I may see or meet, and would I want to make contact with any of these.
I assumed that what ever had caused this collapse had caused a massive, probably at least 99% die-off quite quickly and so if I made this journey it would probably be started within the first couple of months or so of the collapse.
I just wandered what your thoughts may be.
John
8 March 2013, 11:13,
RE: After Society Collapses.
(8 March 2013, 11:10)John Wrote: Laying in bed the other night my thoughts turned, like they do at times, to the ‘what if’ scenarios.
I started to think, I know it's dangerous, keeping it to the UK, for that is where I live, what would I do if I had no near family to consider, if I was on y own.
Would I want, at least initially, to go walk about to see what had happened elsewhere and who might be still left around the country or would I just stay put or at least in the locality.
If I attempted to see what had happened elsewhere the best I could hope for would be to use a bicycle to get around, to start with, but even they will have their problems, like punctures, so I may well end up having to walk.
But I came up with three questions.
1. Would I even want to do this? Keep in mind that I am on my own and have no family to consider.
2. What may I find?
3. Where would I want to go, would I want to see any particular places?
I came up with many thoughts from what major cities and towns may be like to what sort of people I may see or meet, and would I want to make contact with any of these.
I assumed that what ever had caused this collapse had caused a massive, probably at least 99% die-off quite quickly and so if I made this journey it would probably be started within the first couple of months or so of the collapse.
I just wandered what your thoughts may be.
John

nice one John, speaking for myself, if i was on my own, i would lie low and stay hidden, not go anywhere, in the immediate aftermath of SHTF you dont know who or what is out there, so "err on the side of caution" i think!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 March 2013, 11:21,
John, my opinion is see if you can join a group of people post shtf. It'll have a certain element of risk to it as you'll be an outsider but I don't think there are that many people (other than BP - stay away from dartmoor) that'll kill you just incase. You would have to earn their trust (while still watching your own back) but having a useful set of skills such as hunting/trapping/foraging will go a long way to a group accepting you.

The way I look at it is, if I broke my leg or hurt my back & couldn't find food to feed myself or water to drink, would I want (a) someone to help me get back to a reasonable level of fitness or (b) die alone & probably in agony until my last breath. My choice is A but it's not for everyone.

Good post. Things like this get people thinking. That can only ever be a good thing.
8 March 2013, 11:23,
this is a very good reason to get to RV's BEFORE TSHTF so you KNOW who you can trust and more importantly who you cant!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 March 2013, 12:08, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 12:10 by Luci_ferson.)
if i was single, id just pack my little kitbag and go walkabout in search for people who had a good plan.
ive been homeless and wandered the country before, I ended up in devon the last time and that was great.
Its surprising where help comes from in times of need, its usually where you least expect it.
But its a lot easier to move about undetected when theres only one of you.

surviving as a single person has a whol host of unique difficulties, and thats without the constant sap to your will to live brought on by loneliness.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 12:56,
I'd be happier about prepping if I didn't have any other responsibilities, e.g. the wife haha.

I'd go for the team element, after a while.

I don't know about visiting places I hadn't seen before. There would be certain focal points you could almost guarantee you'd find people. Places unaffected by any outbursts, like secluded villages. On the same note, you'd have places that people would flock to, places of religious significance, churches, stone circles, etc. On top of that, you'd probably get people going to sites they believe would attract people, like Wellington Monument (as seen from our bedroom window).

I'd scout on some of those places, but I think I'd end up having to stay within a relatively short distance from home, about 10 miles at most. Travelling outside of that could cause huge logistical problems with any food or caches. However, if alone, it wouldn't be as big a problem.

I don't really think there would be too much to check out. At most, I'd go to Bristol, and pick John up along the way. You and me mate, on our way up to Bristol. Stopping off at pharmacies along the way, for antibiotics and the alike.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 March 2013, 13:13, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 13:15 by Luci_ferson.)
i imagine there wont be much in the pharmacies.
within 2 hours of shtf every heroin addict and druggine in the world will head there first , not supermarkets.
and smack heads aint too tidy, they will scatter everything that dont say morphine on it.
then the other druggies will come in and take anything that ends in poxide, ium, pan etc.
all the other meds wil be trodden on urinated on and thrown up on as they o.d and die choking on their own vomit.
just a guess but its highly likely.

i keep my meds stocked.

first thing a smack head ever thinks about is a fix.

then again , not everyone lives where i live.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 March 2013, 13:34,
If I was single I think I would move on to a boat and travel around a bit exploring the coastline and when/if TSHTF I would move offshore out of sight until it settled down.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 March 2013, 14:00,
Hoist the Jolly Roger Boys!! we sail for Tortuga yaaaargBig Grin
seriously though if I had the resources Bugging out by boat seems a good way to keep your head down, especially if you have a selection of nets pots etc to get a regular feed. There's a marina near me full of lovely weekend Gin Palaces just sat at anchor looking all pretty, and I bet they all have full stores Big Grin

Here's what I envision Big Paul to look like on the Poop Deck.

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/b...a1299acb5a
8 March 2013, 14:06,
I like the coat but its out of my price range. Boats are a really good option. Tartar does your marina have floodgates? If so how do you open them when the power goes down. My nearest marina has them, fortunatly thetes plenty of oyher boats that dont more there.