Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling fellow city dwellers
28 March 2013, 21:13,
RE: Calling fellow city dwellers
I can see paintball guns being usefull. Say there was 2 of you in a house and the ferral mutant chavs want your last 3 remaining tins. One person could blast a group of people with painyballs and the other one picks them off with a bow. Paintball gunshave a higher rate of fire.
29 March 2013, 02:09,
Good talk this thread is generating.
Couple of points keep cropping up about me for some reason.
No, I haven't been here before you paranoid people. Sorry to disapoint you.
I mainly hang out in the US PB and prepping forums. Friendly lot they are.
Yes I was on p2s before being banned for upsetting one of their pc, God complex, pussy moderators.
Think thats it.

SLR man.
No I have no pepper dust shot in my bag, I wouldn't be so stupid to be caught with some either.
Stop and search prevents that BUT that doesn't mean they aren't available in the UK or mail order from Germany.
Also pepper is used by a few US police forces with a Tac700 marker.
Personally I prefer homemade Skunk. Skunk? Look it up.

A lot of people seem to own a full power airgun here.
With so many real guns in London somehow owning an airgun myself just doesn't seem important.
There are two indoor 50m ranges in central London that allow firearm rated airguns.
Both close to PB and airsoft venues where I shoot at.
I've shot a Daystate 30 fp at one. I like the no kick bit a lot.
I also got to shoot a US quackenbush .308 . Now THAT IS an airgun. That does kick.
It's also very very long so I had to use a bench rest. 42", just 3" shorter than a SLR I believe.
I also got to shoot a Glock G17. That was fun too. What, pistols aren't allowed in London?
Depends on who you know.

PB like airsoft aren't man killers but as I said they sure teach you teamwork, tactical, and keeps you fit. As for eyes? Feeling brave? Ask a PB or even a airsoft owner to put one in your eye and tell me how you feel.
Besides it's Womans self defense club 101,
They can't see, you can run.
The rest for interest is
They can't walk, you can run
They can't breath, you can run
Meg.
29 March 2013, 10:10, (This post was last modified: 29 March 2013, 10:38 by bigpaul.)
yes, Meg as i said before i can see your point of view but also as i said before unless you can put your enemy down first time your just going to piss them off and they will come back, possibly with others, to get revenge.

this goes whether you live in the country or the city, in a post SHTF world it will be them or you, dont give them the opportunity to come back a second time.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 March 2013, 10:43,
Back on topic,

i can see gathering water in the city being a major issue! especially during summer.

For me stockpiling is not an option, i've got ways of getting water in my locale, but in a major city?

it might be worth looking into culverts in your area, ancient streams normally still flow through cities, though you'd never know they were there though!
29 March 2013, 10:55,
not just water, you will have to access food...when the deliveries stop arriving and all the shops are looted, shelter..plenty of empty buildings in a city..but who else is in them? heat...can you access anything to keep you warm when the power is off.?..same with light. keep off the streets if possible as the street gangs(170 street gangs in London alone) and mobs will rule the streets.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 March 2013, 20:28,
170 street gangs. That gem from 12 Aug 2007 Telegraph.
Only 5 and a bit years out of date then.
You probably just googled it sat in your comfy straw chair. Truly wet.
Mobs rule the streets? Dunno how the average Londoner lives from day to day.
By rights we should have all been slaughtered years ago.
Truly truly wet.
30 March 2013, 21:46,
Im quite fortunate I live near a few ponds, wich do get worringly low when its summer. Also live near the tyne and the ocean so getting waters not a major issue, filtering and removing salt is going to be time consuming and means having afire on the go to do it, wich will attract spying eyes.
30 March 2013, 22:44,
Nutbar, with a pottymouth like that, come any major disaster you are gonna end up in a stew methinks!

Mmmmm nutcase stew!
30 March 2013, 23:00,
I think one of the main issues for city dwellers is getting used to total darkness, its quite rare to find anywere without streetlighting.
31 March 2013, 03:02,
Been an interesting thread, this one. From my perspective, I think surviving a shtf in the city is survivable, but it would take a lot of very specific prepping and, probably, no small amount of luck. Over the last fifteen years I've done deliveries, home and industrial, all over the inner and greater London area; every leafy borough and every filth infested, shithole estate. London is not a single monotonous estate of tower blocks and burnt out cars, it is a patchwork of lots of types of areas: the aforementioned leafy boroughs and shithole estates. In amongst them all there are a lot of green spaces:- parks, nature reserves, large graveyards, private communal gardens, railway lines, old rivers/streams, ponds/lakes ETC. I think all cities in Britain are the same, just on a smaller scale than London. Two of the first things a city prepper should get is a master atlas and OS map of the city and study them. These will show where the green spaces, water courses, railway lines are. You can then mark and annotate them to show other resources:-garden centers, builders merchants, industrial estates, ETC.
If you're living on one of the crappier estates start looking at where you could bug out to that would be more sparsely populated, i.e. industrial estates, workers huts at railway sidings.
As for food, stockpile enough to see you through the shortish term problem or to get you through the initial exodus/die off. Then all those bushcraft books on foraging,hunting and trapping that you've bought and practised with will really come into there own. You would be surprised at what mother nature has to offer, even in the midst of a necropolis.
Water:-rainwater harvesting, streams, ponds. It's why they invented water filters. Stock up!
Cooking:-again, use bushcraft techniques and also, longer term, rocket stoves, made with materials easily scavenged i.e. air con ducting and other materials from builders merchants. Camping stoves for short term.
Heating/keeping warm:-no excuse for not having lots of layers of clothing, hats, gloves ETC. All available before shtf at charity shops, Primark ETC. It's not a fashion parade so don't worry how you'll look. Proper wool socks are definately worth the investment. Rocket mass heaters will heat a room efficiently with minimal amounts of wood and can be built with scavenged materials. There is an abundance of seasoned wood in the cities; it's called pallets and furniture and all you need do is nip into an abandoned b+q for the tools to process it into sticks.
With any kind of heating and cooking always make sure there is adequate ventilation.
City survival is possible but you need to prep, think laterally and research, research, research.
Anyway, it's late and I must to bed, but one last thought. BP, like you I hanker after the post die off, rural lone wolf approach, but from reading your posts, I'm guessing you're a big lad and no spring chicken. What happens if, the first winter after tshtf, you slip on some ice and break your hip. Your missus might not be able to get you indoors: you're a gonna! If you're part of an msg, then your knowledge and skills would make it well worth while saving you. We all have to adapt to changing circumstances, including old age. Just a thought.
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same