Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talc
30 January 2012, 13:33,
Talc
I've been watching loads of urban survival videos and things like that.

I keep looking back to urban disasters like Katrina and 9/11. When people get really wet and stay wet, their skin suffers MASSIVE damage from friction.

Obviously you dry out as naturally as possible, but what about Talcom powder (white powder looks like cocaine, but is used on babies bottoms in loads of adverts). Would that be something worth storing a couple of kilograms of?
30 January 2012, 14:18,
RE: Talc
If you dry properly then you are OK. For people like us who sweat it can turn into a grit which usually occurs where you don't want grit to be.

OK for certain things but getting undressed and drying clothes even in the bitter cold is better than wearing wet.

I'd avoid it for us. best haveing spare changes of clothes.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 January 2012, 15:45,
lots of squaddies keep medicated talc with fungicide in their kit, stops chaffing and prevents athelites foot, tush and nads

30 January 2012, 15:53,
(30 January 2012, 15:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: lots of squaddies keep medicated talc with fungicide in their kit, stops chaffing and prevents athelites foot, tush and nads

That's what I was wondering about. I was thinking foot fungus mainly. But to a lesser extent, armpits.

Any idea where to get medicated talc?
30 January 2012, 17:06,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...lcckzrl5_b

30 January 2012, 17:17,
(30 January 2012, 17:06)NorthernRaider Wrote: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...lcckzrl5_b

AAAAAH, why didn't I realise anti-athletes-foot powder would be medicated talc?

In which case, I've got some of that back up North. I'll pick it up while at the book review weekend.
16 April 2013, 12:08,
Coming a mere three months late to the party...

Talc has other advantages too. Even the non-medicated kind is wonderful if you massage it into the foot before a day's hiking, and will significantly reduce the risk of blisters or any other friction injury. It needs to be done ON DRY FEET and at least half an hour before you set off though, or as SK says, the sweat turns it into grit and the result is... not pleasant.

Beyond that, it is a very good 'dry shampoo'. When water and soap are scarce, massage talc into your hair (deep into the roots) then brush it out - and it takes all the grease with it. I realize clean hair won't exactly be a high priority in a post SHTF world, but it feels a lot nicer, and you never know when you're going to bump into an Apocalyptic Babe. The medicated kind also deters nits...

(The danger is, of course, smell - which can betray you to both predators and prey. I wouldn't use even unscented stuff if I was planning on venturing anywhere dangerous).

Not sanitation-related, so I hope it's OK to add it here, but talc is also a lubricant. It's especially good to ease the passage of wood against wood. As a kid I learned to use it with a drawer that kept sticking, and in a world where we may be working with home-made furniture and equipment that could be very useful. Yes, a squirt of WD40 would be even better, but in a world where there isn't any and the home-made pump keeps sticking, then a few grains of talc could save the day.

Back in the 1920's talc was an essential item in a handyman's toolbox. It still is in mine.

That may be just me though. Try it at home, and I'd love to hear how anyone else gets on with it.
16 April 2013, 13:14,
good quality baby powder / talc is not gritty, I apply it liberally after each shower. It helps a little to keep dry working outside in a hot/humid climate and to avoid the fungal rot.

if you are wanting to have a cure for the rot stay away from the powders. In my experience they are not very effective once you have it. Get a anti-fungal cream or spray. This may sound funny, but jock itch is no joke. The skin gets cracked so every movement is painful. It does not go away on its on, and by my experience natural cures are not very effective either. Word of warning they don't have on the label of the anti fungal meds: they sting like a muther F&^**&*, for real it feels like your groin is on fire. I guess that's how you know they are working.
16 April 2013, 14:02,
it is something i do carry and use if i`m out in the hills for a few days
16 April 2013, 16:41,
Already keep some in my preps...BOBs