Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No chimney!
11 May 2013, 08:34,
RE: No chimney!
(11 May 2013, 08:18)BDG Wrote: Perhaps you should get a new husband?

Oh, not sure I can be bothered. You know, in that kind of lazy way in which one may or may not scratch an itch on one's leg.Big Grin
11 May 2013, 14:32,
http://www.alaskatent.com/fabric/accesso...toves.html

Comes with telescoping pipe with the entire thing is a small box to be assembled when needed. Sit the stove on a base of brick and run the pipe out the window through a sheet metal insert.
11 May 2013, 14:39,
get a wood stove made out of a gas cylinder on Ebay( or get someone to make you one!) then like me you can keep it in reserve until TSHTF, stick the pipe out of a window or a vent, or if your real handy knock a hole through an outside wall, or set it up outside under a roof of corrugated metal, you'll need to get in a stock of wood to season unless you've got access to a stock post shtfTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2013, 18:53,
Good idea...
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
11 May 2013, 19:20,
Great ideas, Mortlake and BP - thank you very much.

I'm still going for the full monty if I can, but yours are both excellent back-up plans and I'm inclined to try them anyway. This is a big house, and two woodburners would undoubtedly be better than one. Plus (as Timelord said) a small woodburner is something I could take with me if/when we bug out anyway.

Brilliant, everyone. I can't believe how much help you've given me. Thanks to all - and to SD for such a great forum!

Louise
11 May 2013, 19:27,
you dont need a huge great thing, a small one will do just as well, make sure it has a hotplate you can cook off when the power goes off, a wood stove to me is no darn good unless you can cook off it in an emergency.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 May 2013, 21:24,
There are major differences between small and large stoves when sing them on a daily basis.

While a small stove can be packed away and set up as we have described a larger stove will take bigger wood, allowing a longer burn time between feedings and less wood splitting.

It will also heat a larger area.

The smaller pack stoves will need feeding every hour and will only warm a confined space. It is really disheartening to watch a little stove glow red hot and be freezing to death a few feet away from it.
12 May 2013, 09:37,
modern English houses are quite small, you dont need a wopping big woodstove that puts out 7KW or whatever in a smaller space, you'd never be able to get in the room for the heat, you need something thats puts out about 1KW per hour.
12 May 2013, 12:24,
(12 May 2013, 09:37)bigpaul Wrote: modern English houses are quite small, you dont need a wopping big woodstove that puts out 7KW or whatever in a smaller space, you'd never be able to get in the room for the heat, you need something thats puts out about 1KW per hour.

True for a small house but there are as many older large/tall roomed houses in the UK also. open plan is even worse :-(
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
12 May 2013, 12:30,
(12 May 2013, 12:24)Timelord Wrote: True for a small house but there are as many older large/tall roomed houses in the UK also.

not down here there isntBig Grin i am surrounded by new modern property, some old cottages in the area but they are not large either.