Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Experiences
15 May 2013, 12:48,
RE: Real Experiences
The text message thing a pretty sinister, isn't it? Big Brother's definitely watching - and he's not the kindly sort... Angry

Every war in history has been over resources... mmmh?

Remember that one for Scottish independence back in the 1400's? That was about controlling our own country so I suppose you could call that about resources but I think it was more about putting down a tyrant (apologies, English cousins Smile)... how about that wee one against the Third Reich - a bit more about liberty, that one... does no-one else remember what Afghan was like under a Taliban government? The whole country was a terrorist training camp - for those whose sworn enemies are USA and UK. What about their treatment of females? Destruction of centuries of historical artifacts?

Right. First thing I'll do is shut up - I've climbed on a soapbox. Blush Next, I'll remind myself of something SD said recently - this is a prepping site - not a political one. Sorry!

16 May 2013, 05:12, (This post was last modified: 16 May 2013, 05:20 by Mortblanc.)
All those wars are patriotic efforts only at the level of the common soldier or citizen. They feed us that pap to keep us supporting the effort.

In the old days they were a bit more honest, they split the pillage and spoils right down to the level of the private soldier. Every man knew what his percentage of the take was going to be.

The study of conflict, wars and their results and causes are directly related to prepping.

In the course of human history many of the SHTF situations have been due to wars.

Ask any of your old folks that survived the blitz, transport to the countryside, mandated use of their farms, conscription into the service or labor force, training for the expected German invasion.

Studying reality of the past makes crisis a bit more predictable.
16 May 2013, 14:40, (This post was last modified: 16 May 2013, 14:48 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: All those wars are patriotic efforts only at the level of the common soldier or citizen. They feed us that pap to keep us supporting the effort.
In referring to patriotism as "pap", you belittle it - and me, an ex-soldier and a citizen.

(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: In the old days they were a bit more honest, they split the pillage and spoils right down to the level of the private soldier. Every man knew what his percentage of the take was going to be.
I referred also to WW2 and Afghan. Where's the "percentage of the take" there?

(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: The study of conflict, wars and their results and causes are directly related to prepping.
Of course they are - as are studies of the effects civil unrest, severe weather events and almost anything that impacts our daily lives.

(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: In the course of human history many of the SHTF situations have been due to wars.
Yes and to many other causes.

(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: Ask any of your old folks that survived the blitz, transport to the countryside, mandated use of their farms, conscription into the service or labor force, training for the expected German invasion.
I've had the privilege of knowing more than a few but ask them what? Whether their patriotism was 'pap'?

(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: Studying reality of the past makes crisis a bit more predictable.
Awareness of the events of the past certainly causes us to look to the future with concern, which is why we're preparing, isn't it? But predictable, I think not. We can surmise, give it our best guess but predict? I'd need a prophet for that one, wouldn't you?

Mortblanc, I've meant to ask this before but since we are on a thread in Scenarios and it's about real experiences, it seems appropriate to ask now - would you consider passing on some of the experience you gained in your primitive historic re-enactments? I'm sure it would be appreciated by more than just me...

16 May 2013, 19:03,
(16 May 2013, 05:12)Mortblanc Wrote: All those wars are patriotic efforts only at the level of the common soldier or citizen. They feed us that pap to keep us supporting the effort.

In the old days they were a bit more honest, they split the pillage and spoils right down to the level of the private soldier. Every man knew what his percentage of the take was going to be.

The study of conflict, wars and their results and causes are directly related to prepping.

In the course of human history many of the SHTF situations have been due to wars.

Ask any of your old folks that survived the blitz, transport to the countryside, mandated use of their farms, conscription into the service or labor force, training for the expected German invasion.

Sorry Mortblanc, but I'll have to call you on this one. My major was military history, specializing in the period of 1939-1945, with a minor in military tactics. I served as a "weekend warrior" for a lot of years, and was called back to full-time active duty in 1990 for Gulf War I (Desert Shield/Desert Storm). There was no "pap" as you call it involved. A nutcase dictator took over a country that was both friendly to us and one of our major oil suppliers, and threatened to do the same to yet another country (yes, I got the intel briefings too).

Oh, and for what it's worth, Saddam DID have WMD - both chemical and biologicals. Once Saddam figured out that he was going to lose, and wasn't certain whether coalition forces would stop at his border or keep on coming, he sent his inventory to Syria, where today it is of great concern to every country in the region.

You can make your point historically, and agree or disagree with me as you please, but I've worn boots, been there, done that, have the tee-shirt, and the "common soldier" is a whole lot smarter than you give him/her credit for. Oh, and they don't swallow "pap"!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
16 May 2013, 21:15,
(16 May 2013, 19:03)Jonas Wrote:

Sorry Mortblanc, but I'll have to call you on this one. My major was military history, specializing in the period of 1939-1945, with a minor in military tactics. I served as a "weekend warrior" for a lot of years, and was called back to full-time active duty in 1990 for Gulf War I (Desert Shield/Desert Storm). There was no "pap" as you call it involved. A nutcase dictator took over a country that was both friendly to us and one of our major oil suppliers, and threatened to do the same to yet another country (yes, I got the intel briefings too).

Oh, and for what it's worth, Saddam DID have WMD - both chemical and biologicals. Once Saddam figured out that he was going to lose, and wasn't certain whether coalition forces would stop at his border or keep on coming, he sent his inventory to Syria, where today it is of great concern to every country in the region.

You can make your point historically, and agree or disagree with me as you please, but I've worn boots, been there, done that, have the tee-shirt, and the "common soldier" is a whole lot smarter than you give him/her credit for. Oh, and they don't swallow "pap"!

yeah shame it took you so long to help out dec 1941 yeah ,just sat there and watched uk citys get the crap blown out of them ,my grandmother for one thanks for that
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
16 May 2013, 21:36,

As an ex squadie, I also find this a bit off the mark
A major part of survival is invisibility.
16 May 2013, 23:08,
This is why I stop all posts not related to prepping. Nobody can stop themselves degenerating into abuse and for no reason.

This thread is now closed.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin