Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes for a good RV
22 June 2013, 23:28,
RE: What makes for a good RV
(22 June 2013, 10:06)NorthernRaider Wrote: I note the RV season is with us again (if it has a season) and many of our colonial cousins are heading to to camping events, shooting events, traditional living events, off road bug out parties, Rendezvous etc which got me thinking

"What is it that the UK community actually WANT from an RV?"

So I thought it may help people who are trying to organise RVs like SD, BP, RW etc if we simply asked the community

"What do you want at an RV that will make you want to go?"

I'll start with a few considerations but they are not neccessarily my own.

Accomodation
Activities
Classes
Convenience
Trade Stands
BBQ
BAR
Easy to get to
Held over only a few hours
Held over Sat /Sun
Held over long weekend
Indoor event
Outdoor event
indoor and outdoor type event
Stuff for kids
Stuff for families
Militarised
100% civilianised (new word Smile )

My own idea of a good RV I know will be different to the majority so I'm happy to start this thread but I'll just leave it run to see what comes of it.

For me it is more the people who are attending the RV than the content of the RV. Someone asked in another thread how well tuned our bullshit meters were regarding some of the bollocks that gets posted, I like to think mine is pretty well tuned. Some people I would travel miles to meet up with, others I wouldn't cross the road to meet up with

That being said, I prefer smaller less structured meets, show and tells, demos etc. Trade stands and the like are not for me.
23 June 2013, 19:17,
Except if it was sids surplus , got the rock band sorted ( no its not me ) but top of the tree rock band alright, no you will have to wait and see , great list NR
26 June 2013, 07:19,
(22 June 2013, 19:18)River Song Wrote: I just bought 2000 Condoms, 10 large tubes of KY and a couple of lipsticks. I bet my name goes on the list.

Aye, an entirely different list to the one you're thinking of though!

Structured or not, doesn't really bother me too much, as long as I can abstain if I so wish. I prefer to sit around the camp fire with a hearty discussion and a nice dark rum.

I wonder what happened to "Lead Mountain" Tongue Wink
26 June 2013, 09:07,
(22 June 2013, 19:18)River Song Wrote: I just bought 2000 Condoms, 10 large tubes of KY and a couple of lipsticks.
looks like you intend to survive in a completely different way from the rest of us!!TongueTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 June 2013, 17:23,
The things what make a good RV are friendliness, openess, plenty of notice, a structured events list, and making newbies feel welcome and valued, Like the superb event held, hosted, and planned, by Northern Raider at his home in May. I never once felt out of place and any questions I asked got lots of friendly encouraging ansers. I think starting any discussions on a low level then building up the levels of discusions so any newbies to prepping know what people are talking about also helps. The RV was enjoyable and I learnt alot and met some new friends, who I have kept in touch with. I would like to thank Northern Raider again and thanks, to Mrs Northern Raider for looking after us all. I am eagerly awaiting the next RV. VERDICT SUPERB.
26 June 2013, 17:47,
I know it wasn't the question asked but what I like about RVs is the relationships forged. I've been to 4 RVs, most in Yorkshire, and on all of them I've met people I would be happy to work with during a disaster.

OK, now to answer the actual question: for me it's a relaxing environment where you can talk freely. I like being able to talk kit and actually have it to hand, that's not happened often for me as most have been in public places.

I think the ideal format is the first RV be friendly and open where people can get to know one another, and then maybe have follow up ones be more project/learning based. Maybe a weekend or whole day where everyone tries lots of prepping related things with lots of time to discuss in between. just my opinion
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.