Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Our initial West Scotland Meet
28 June 2013, 12:09,
Our initial West Scotland Meet
As some know Highlander, Bracken, AL and myself met up with Ken earlier this week and had a very interesting time discussing various things.

Ken is our herbal medicine guru and has posted several articles in our Medical section. Between Ken and Lizzie we have learnt a lot that will be of benefit to our health. For this we are grateful.

Highlander is known for feeding prime venison to his dogs whilst he lives a self sufficient livestyle well away from civilisation.

Bracken is HL's better half and doesn't like venison either. She is quite technical astute and although she doesn't contribute much to the forum in words it was clear she knows what she is doing.

AL is not online much and is better known among the radio group as the person that made NR happy. No mean task when it comes to comms.

Then there is myself. Well you all know me and if you don't. Hi!

The others are now looking at setting up a local, and I use local loosely, group and kicking it off with a basic training session where Ken can show how to identify useful plants out in the wild and perhaps moving on to showing us how to make some of the items he discusses in later meets. His only issue is his location as he doesn't drive. For those is the West of Scotland there are some fantastic opportunities about to open up but you will have to get to them.

Ken's interest is getting more people to learn the basics and passing on his knowledge to as many as are interested. He has many articles to go and I have a couple already lined up. If you have any requests then let Ken know and he will provide the information.

It was a very interesting meeting where we discussed everything from herbal remedies to wind turbines and although we didn't go into too much depth there were several options discussed and questions answered.

Although geographically distant this group has the potential to be the one to watch. People up here are commited and will travel significant distances 200 miles + to meet up. They recognise the benefits of cooperation.

Good luck to them. I await their first meet.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 June 2013, 12:15, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2013, 12:18 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Our initial West Scotland Meet
Thats me green with jealousy the Scots group have got off to such a good start Smile, Keep it up

Ahaaaa this will slow em down, The Gaelic translation of prepper is (I think) Dh’fhaodadh tu na faclan a leanas fheuchainn, a tha faisg air: Smile

28 June 2013, 17:33, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2013, 17:33 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(28 June 2013, 12:15)NorthernRaider Wrote: Thats me green with jealousy the Scots group have got off to such a good start Smile, Keep it up

Ahaaaa this will slow em down, The Gaelic translation of prepper is (I think) Dh’fhaodadh tu na faclan a leanas fheuchainn, a tha faisg air: Smile

"Ach dh'fhaodadh tu na faclan a leanas fheuchainn, a tha faisg air"
"But you might try the words that follow, which are close to ..."???

How about:
"Ionnsaich aig casan latha an-dè, bi beò airson latha an-diugh, bi an dòchas airson latha a-maireach."
"Learn at the feet of yesterday, be alive for the sake of today, be in hope for the sake of tomorrow".

SmileSmileSmile

28 June 2013, 18:07,
Well done Grumpy Granda, I wish you had lived near here about ten years ago when I was learning Gaelic. There are very few people here who can speak the language. What I learned then has been forgotten, although I still have a few words of the Irish Munster Gaelic. Perhaps we will meet soon, especially if you can join in the new group. I'd love for you to be involved and anyone else from Glasgow and surrounding area. NR, I'm very pleased that you have some Gaelic as well. It's a wonderful language and I hope that people will keep it alive. Regards to you both, Kenneth Eames.
28 June 2013, 18:24,
I dropped you an Email Ken with a suggested date, let me know what you think when you get a minute

Gaelic is a very regional language the way a person speaks it in one part of Scotland will vary greatly from a Gael only 50 miles up the road,... I can remember who said it now,.. but it was said that a person who knew a little German, knew a little German, and person who knows a little Spanish, knows a little Spanish, .... but a person who knows a little Gaelic, is an expert...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 June 2013, 18:26,
Look lets make one thing perfectly clear the only language that matters in the British Isles is.... Geordie Smile

28 June 2013, 18:33,
Highlander, Yes, Will phone you tomorrow (Saturday). Kenneth Eames.
28 June 2013, 18:38,
(28 June 2013, 18:33)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Highlander, Yes, Will phone you tomorrow (Saturday). Kenneth Eames.

Thats fine Ken
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 June 2013, 20:26,
(28 June 2013, 18:07)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Well done Grumpy Granda, I wish you had lived near here about ten years ago when I was learning Gaelic. There are very few people here who can speak the language. What I learned then has been forgotten, although I still have a few words of the Irish Munster Gaelic. Perhaps we will meet soon, especially if you can join in the new group. I'd love for you to be involved and anyone else from Glasgow and surrounding area. NR, I'm very pleased that you have some Gaelic as well. It's a wonderful language and I hope that people will keep it alive. Regards to you both, Kenneth Eames.

Kenneth, I'm afraid it's at this point that my reputation crashes and burns... I googled NR's phrase and found myself presented with the second one (and a particularly beautiful one it is too!).

I have often thought over the years, that it would have been a grand language to learn, especially when I got into mountaineering and would have loved to be able to pronounce just place names properly!

I hope that we will meet soon as I have every intention of travelling to the West Scotland Meet, if my disability permits me to on the day. That is, if I ever get an invitation now that my Gaelic Guru identity has been stripped from me...

(I didn't actually say I spoke the language, I just couldn't resist one in the eye for NR, for quoting it at us... Big Grin)

28 June 2013, 20:34, (This post was last modified: 28 June 2013, 20:34 by NorthernRaider.)
Dont worry about your credability I used Googles English - Gaelic translator to get the gaelic for prepper, Kenny is the only edumacted one among us !!! Smile

I only speak English and Geordie Smile