Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourites?
30 August 2013, 15:22,
Favourites?
My favourite bow has developed a twist in the lower limb after nearly twenty years of almost daily use, meaning it either has to be retired or sent back for fixing. Although obviously not too happy about the situation I have other bows to "fall back" on and promptly got a Samick SHB one piece field recurve out to continue shooting. The first shots (at 15 yds) were all over the place, and I would have had more success if I threw the bow at the targetAngry. I was also rewarded with a large bruise to my forearm, letting me know my form was bad (for this bow).
What has this to do with our preparations? well from my point of view it has made me realise that being overly reliant on one piece of kit has serious implications, it took me a few days to get familiar with the Samick once more, and if this was a SHTF scenario could I afford the luxury of using a few days to learn how to shoot effectively? I'm now making a conscious effort to shoot all my bows on a weekly basis. The down side to this is that my overall accuracy has gone down due to the difference in bow types, Asiatic composite, modern recurve, Longbow (and I'm honest enough to admit it). What I need to do is standardise my archery equipment so I can just pick up another bow of the same form, poundage and function and not have to worry about performance differences that equate to accuracy in the real world.
PS
Some of you might mention me not using a "bracer", I only use/need a bracer to keep the clothing of my bow arm from interfering with the string. When shooting in T shirts etc I don't generally use one because if you are shooting correctly the string will not hit your arm, if it is your form needs correcting. No doubt this will open up a can of wormsBig Grin
30 August 2013, 15:41,
RE: Favourites?
Excellent article and wise reminder, with archery in particular regular practice is a must, I agree about not using bracers and arm guards as well.
30 August 2013, 16:01,
TH without seeing your bows or what you are doing it's hard to say whats going wrong. I presume the different bows will have different draws, so you will be at sorts at first. My instructors tell me to grip the bow as loose as possible with your hand in twisted slightly so you are not locking your elbow and thus keeping it away from the string.

Best advice is to get someone to video you shooting so you can see your own technique. It can be quite a surprise. Smile
30 August 2013, 22:19,
It is a fact of life you do start to have favourites. Be it a bow, a knife, a firearm or food. You tend towards them and when they are gone you miss them. A while later you are up to speed with a new one and the old one is forgotten.

Don't worry about it. It may not become an issue and to be equally as practised with several tools means a lot more time needs to be invested.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 August 2013, 11:59, (This post was last modified: 31 August 2013, 12:02 by Tartar Horde.)
(30 August 2013, 16:01)MCavity Wrote: TH without seeing your bows or what you are doing it's hard to say whats going wrong. I presume the different bows will have different draws, so you will be at sorts at first. My instructors tell me to grip the bow as loose as possible with your hand in twisted slightly so you are not locking your elbow and thus keeping it away from the string.

Best advice is to get someone to video you shooting so you can see your own technique. It can be quite a surprise. Smile
Thanks for the reply Mcavity, I'm an experienced archer 30yrs and counting and my bows are of different draw weights like you surmised. The problem is one of being familiar with a certain type of bow, and then having to change to another one with which you do not practise as often as you should. This will show up any deficiency in form when using that bow. Hence why the bow reminded me with a nice bruise to my forearmBig Grin In normally shoot a traditional bow, shooting off the hand, when you change to a modern pistol grip recurve, the feel of the Bow is very different, as is the shooting style. The only way you can eliminate this is by having more than one of your favourite style of Bow, so if the unthinkable happens you can just grab it and go, without having to think about altering your shooting style.

PS
Running four different sets of arrows is a pain in the arse as wellAngry
31 August 2013, 13:13,
What about going with one that you've made and that you can 'easily' replicate (haha, as if making a bow is an easy job)?

At least that way you can have spares made up, and can relatively easily come back round to a bow that you know well.

As for forearm guards...depends on the bow and shooter. Shorter people have smaller pulls, so the string has a sharper S movement on release, which is why kids should always have them. Personally, best to have one, because...well, just in case.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 August 2013, 13:27,
(31 August 2013, 13:13)Scythe13 Wrote: What about going with one that you've made and that you can 'easily' replicate (haha, as if making a bow is an easy job)?

At least that way you can have spares made up, and can relatively easily come back round to a bow that you know well.

As for forearm guards...depends on the bow and shooter. Shorter people have smaller pulls, so the string has a sharper S movement on release, which is why kids should always have them. Personally, best to have one, because...well, just in case.
I can't make Asiatic composite bows Scythe, I wish I could, it's a highly skilled craft. Stature has nothing to do with the propensity to hit your arm upon release scythe, it's all down to form I'm afraid. I do agree though that children should use a bracer until they can shoot well enough not to need one.
31 August 2013, 17:54,
so TH the bow that buggered is it the one you brought down here ,if so very sad it was a very nice bow ,oh yeah that long bow you gave me you can bugger off if you want it back pal Big Grin
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
31 August 2013, 20:17,
(31 August 2013, 17:54)Barneyboy Wrote: so TH the bow that buggered is it the one you brought down here ,if so very sad it was a very nice bow ,oh yeah that long bow you gave me you can bugger off if you want it back pal Big Grin
Yeah mate that's the one, it's not beyond hope as I can send it back to The bowyer to fix it, but that could take up to six months. How you getting on with that beast barney? and did you sort out those Goose feathers?
31 August 2013, 22:06,
(31 August 2013, 20:17)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(31 August 2013, 17:54)Barneyboy Wrote: so TH the bow that buggered is it the one you brought down here ,if so very sad it was a very nice bow ,oh yeah that long bow you gave me you can bugger off if you want it back pal Big Grin
Yeah mate that's the one, it's not beyond hope as I can send it back to The bowyer to fix it, but that could take up to six months. How you getting on with that beast barney? and did you sort out those Goose feathers?

its the tits mate thanks ,the goose feathers I messed up but got some more so will try again ,not bloody easy is itSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!