Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
improvised faraday cage
31 August 2013, 22:18,
RE: improvised faraday cage
Note the term faraday CAGE

It does not have to have all holes sealed to work.

Using your gun cabinet, the most important thing is to ensure that the door is elecytronically grounded to the rest of the cabinet.

The contents must not electroniocally touch the cabinet. Wtrapping then in cardboard or bubble wrap will do the trick
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 August 2013, 22:22,
^^^^^^ you are right of course, a Faraday cage doesn't have to be solid at all, all that is needed is for the holes to be smaller than the wave lengths that threaten your equipment.

I think that the only reason people make them solid, or at least why I make mine solid, is that I dont know how large the wave lengths will be,...and it is usually easier to find solid metal containers
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 August 2013, 23:33,
(31 August 2013, 19:37)Mortblanc Wrote: OK you protected your phone.

Did anyone remember to place the cell phone tower inside a card board box and wrap it with tin foil?

it was only a test to see if it would work, however in a real SHTF scenario i need to make sure my angry birds games survive Big Grin
Winter is coming
1 September 2013, 07:50,
(31 August 2013, 22:22)Highlander Wrote: ^^^^^^ you are right of course, a Faraday cage doesn't have to be solid at all, all that is needed is for the holes to be smaller than the wave lengths that threaten your equipment.

I think that the only reason people make them solid, or at least why I make mine solid, is that I dont know how large the wave lengths will be,...and it is usually easier to find solid metal containers

You're right HL.

I was trying to point out that its more important to ensure that the whole of a gun cabinet is electrically bonded together ( especially the door), than it is to tape over any screw fixing holes with aluminium foil which will have no / minimal effec.

A metal dustbin with metal lid electrically bonded to the base would work equally well, maybe better than gin cabinet.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 September 2013, 10:36,
my gun cabinet is lay on the floor bolted to the floor joists through the back of the cabinet with the door facing upwards there are two substatial hinges and two mortice type locks shielded, the door apeture has an inner flange so the door underlaps the frame for anti jemmying...what more do i need other than lining the entire cabinet with non conducting tiles?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
1 September 2013, 17:53,
(1 September 2013, 07:50)Lightspeed Wrote: A metal dustbin with metal lid electrically bonded to the base would work equally well, maybe better than gin cabinet.

My Faraday cage is a metal dust bin, and the top is `sealed` with aluminum tape,...I have also stored it inside one of those metal garden sheds,... I looked at the shed I have and decided that there were no real holes in it, so provided that the doors are closed tight, [ I use a small clamp ],... then it will also become a good first line defense
1 September 2013, 21:15,
ok ive got one for yas Big Grin how about using mess tins? put your radio/phone/batteries etc in a box, wrap it in tin foil then put it in the mess tins Big Grin could even stick a few extras inside then tape them together to keep them shut Smile that way you have a faraday cage that you can keep in your car and after an event you can cook your dinner in? Big Grin
Winter is coming
1 September 2013, 21:19,
That sounds fine as long as the tape holds them together,.. do that or use a biscuit tin with a better lid, and seal that
2 September 2013, 09:31, (This post was last modified: 2 September 2013, 09:34 by Lightspeed.)
(1 September 2013, 21:15)Hex Wrote: ok ive got one for yas Big Grin how about using mess tins? put your radio/phone/batteries etc in a box, wrap it in tin foil then put it in the mess tins Big Grin could even stick a few extras inside then tape them together to keep them shut Smile that way you have a faraday cage that you can keep in your car and after an event you can cook your dinner in? Big Grin

Yep, that'll work provises the lid makes electrical contact with the base.

I use matal biscuit and sweet tins with the shield from tv/ radio coaxial cable soldered onto lid and base to ensure they are contacted. This works fine.

(1 September 2013, 10:36)Midnitemo Wrote: my gun cabinet is lay on the floor bolted to the floor joists through the back of the cabinet with the door facing upwards there are two substatial hinges and two mortice type locks shielded, the door apeture has an inner flange so the door underlaps the frame for anti jemmying...what more do i need other than lining the entire cabinet with non conducting tiles?

Check to make sure that the soor has electrical continuity with teh body of the cabinet and maybe make a strap lead as described above

Good idea about the non conductive tiles. A good way to test non conductivity is to cut of a small portionof tile and cook it for a minute or wto in your kitchen mucrowave oven. If the sample is still cold after cooking, you can be sure that its non conductive.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 September 2013, 13:54,
i love this site...i'd never have thought of testing the tiles in the microwave.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!