Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Herbal Quick Clot
21 October 2013, 17:55,
Herbal Quick Clot
As it turns out, if you mix Yarrow Powder and Cayenne pepper powder and then apply to a wound, you have a herbal version of Quick-Clot.

The blood will coagulate quickly and should stop the bleeding.

Obviously this is dependent on the size of the wound, but it's pretty effective, so I've been led to believe.

Next time I'm down Morrisons.....haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 October 2013, 18:05,
RE: Herbal Quick Clot
Cayenne powder? on an open wound? bloody hell, I bet that gets them jumping about and screaming!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 October 2013, 18:18,
(21 October 2013, 18:05)bigpaul Wrote: Cayenne powder? on an open wound? bloody hell, I bet that gets them jumping about and screaming!Big GrinBig Grin

As long as you survive mate, that's what's really important. But yeah, I bet it does hurt. Might try it next time I get a big cut.
21 October 2013, 18:59,
That's going in my book right now ......cheers S
21 October 2013, 19:37,
Probably only milder pain than if you stuck a red hot poker in the wound, but again very effective. Cayenne pepper is one of those very versitile herbal remidies. My mother use to make a drink of cayenne, vinigar and garlic to drink when she felt a cold coming on. Taste horrible but worked really good.
21 October 2013, 19:42,
I actually don't think it'll be that bad. The cut would have damaged the nerve endings, so it'll be no different from TCP, which I used to use a lot of in training, and it never hurt.
21 October 2013, 22:43,
i'd administer it but i'm not sure i'd want it done to me...just a little concerned about involuntary movements when you put it on....you'd need to be some kind of superman to grin and bear that.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 January 2014, 16:18,
Two good formula here from Scythe 13 and Lanky Yankee. Both have been used by old-time herbalists. Cayenne is very good as a hot drink when you arrive home on a very cold day. But do not go out again in the cold for art least two hours as it opens the pores of your skin. Kenneth Eames.
8 January 2014, 17:03,
I'd been led to believe (rightly or wrongly) that the like of quickclot really should be avoided if at all possible, and I assume that the herbal equivalent would be the same, as although yes its effective in stopping major bleeding, the mess in makes often means that surgeons have to create far more damage to remove and clean out the quick clot which gets caked in everywhere. Yes the newer quick clot is bound into a sponge (rather than being a loose powder) to prevent these problems, but the herbal equivalent here could I guess cause the same sort of internal damage to the old quick clot powder.

Also if after TSHTF, you may have problems finding a surgeon to be able to remove the mess anyway.

Its just a thought and not knocking the OP, but its best to have supplies of the right equipment 'if' at all possible - which of course is not always the case.....

Instead you should be using an Israeli Bandage similar to these for major bleeding:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Emergency-Ba...s_beauty_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trauma-Sterile-P...li+bandage
8 January 2014, 18:33,
(8 January 2014, 17:03)Devonian Wrote: I'd been led to believe (rightly or wrongly) that the like of quickclot really should be avoided if at all possible, and I assume that the herbal equivalent would be the same, as although yes its effective in stopping major bleeding, the mess in makes often means that surgeons have to create far more damage to remove and clean out the quick clot which gets caked in everywhere. Yes the newer quick clot is bound into a sponge (rather than being a loose powder) to prevent these problems, but the herbal equivalent here could I guess cause the same sort of internal damage to the old quick clot powder.

Also if after TSHTF, you may have problems finding a surgeon to be able to remove the mess anyway.

Its just a thought and not knocking the OP, but its best to have supplies of the right equipment 'if' at all possible - which of course is not always the case.....

Instead you should be using an Israeli Bandage similar to these for major bleeding:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Emergency-Ba...s_beauty_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trauma-Sterile-P...li+bandage

I think the powdered stuff is a bit dodgy - especially if it gets blown in your eyes somehow. And like you say, it'll keep you alive, but makes a huge mess for whoever has to sort you out. CAT and some of the quickclot or IDF bandages would be much better than any powdered stuff IMO