Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti pollution face masks
5 April 2014, 20:56,
Anti pollution face masks
Thought this may interest some of the folks, especially those who cycle in urban areas bbut more importantly those who may need to bug out of evac from a city in crisis with multiple damaged buildings
(Think of those dust clouds bellowing through NYC on 911)

I have a nephew who loves cycling but is an asthmatic who cannot go anywhere without a blue and a brown inhaler, normally the recent high levels of pollution would keep him well and truly grounded but his dad bought him a cycling respirator mask containing activated charcoal with replaceable inserts. It has allowed him to get in some cycling where normally he would not dare venture out.

Which made me think that these masks could be ideal for GHBs and BOBs especially for urban preppers in conjunction with a pair of goggles to allow them to evac from a debris covered area as per nyc on 911

http://respro.com/store/product/city-mask

5 April 2014, 22:07,
RE: Anti pollution face masks
Oh Aye before I forget if you are skint and desperate you can make your own activated charcoal face masks out of old bedding or large kerchiefs or bandanas and adding a layer of activated bone charcoal bettwen two layers of cloth getting the charcoal from aquarists suppliers

5 April 2014, 23:14,
Bear in mind that those masks are only rated to PM10 which basically filters out 80% of airbourne particulates, that is fine on a daily basis but in a 911 type of scenario you'd be better off with an FFP3 disposable respirator or a half mask fitted with P3 filters which filter out 99% of particulates.
6 April 2014, 03:32,
In my kit I carry a box of 3M, single-use, disposable N95 rated respirators, of the type used in the building trades for protection against irritant dusts and chemical vapors.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
6 April 2014, 09:16,
in my stores I have a box of N95 disposable masks(3MN95 particulate respirator masks #8200) good for "virus, bacteria,swine flu" recommended by North West Lung centre.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2014, 09:32,
Some good feed back coming in here from other mask users, keep it up Smile

6 April 2014, 10:35,
The 3M N95 masks are very popular in China whenever the pollution really takes off. There is one particular store online that only sells these masks, usually has thousands of pieces in stock, but also sells out within days a couple of times a year when things get really bad.

I had a few of these tucked away, but the wife very thoughtfully gave them to the carpenters who were redecorating her office. Actually, I've already had quite a few different items disappear, and then when I asked where they went, been told that she gave them to whoever, because "what use are they to us?"
6 April 2014, 10:41,
(6 April 2014, 10:35)Jace Wrote: I've already had quite a few different items disappear, and then when I asked where they went, been told that she gave them to whoever, because "what use are they to us?"
oh dear!, at least I don't have that problem, stores are all put away until needed, wife dosent bother what I buy in fact sometimes she says" you should buy(so and so) next"!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2014, 11:35,
I've a stock on the N95 as well. Some are already in my GHB/BOB/WTHIWTDWIB
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 April 2014, 11:47,
The N95 standard is a US designation and is not normally seen in the UK, the nearest European equivalent to an N95 mask is an FFP2 respirator, however even for works on construction sites in the UK, the higher FFP3 Respirators (equivalent to a US N99 Mask) is recommended and will filter 99% of particulates - so this is what I would recommend.

However the key issue with any mask/respirator is making sure you fit it correctly to your face, if you do not position the mask correctly on your face and adjust it, then the filtering effects will be completely lost as you will simply end up breathing in air through gaps between the seal of the mask and your face, as this is the area of least resistance.

You will also find that not all masks will fit the shape of your face and you may need to try a couple of different designs/makes before you find the one best for your face shape/size.

Also always try and get valved respirators as they help to expel the exhaled air much more easily, making breathing, especially strenuous breathing a lot easier.

Also if you have a beard, then these sorts of respirators are a waste of time as you will not achieve a seal between the mask and your face, in this case you are going to need a full face reuseable respirator - think of fire fighters mask without the oxygen tanks.

Finally, as NR suggested, goggles are also good to have, but again if you are wearing a respirator, have you checked to see if the goggles and mask are compatible?? You may find that when wearing your respirator your goggles end up sitting on the respirator which results in them being lifted off your face, in which case they are no more use than your standard glasses!!

So as with all of your kit, get it out, use it and check it works and provides you with the protection that you need.

For those in an urban environment, this is particularly true and also don't underestimate how much harder (and hotter) it will be to do things when wearing a respirator/goggles, running down the street carrying your GHB/BOB.