Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Tip #5
7 April 2014, 13:02,
Quick Tip #5
This is the last one I'm doing today...because I'm being lazy.

If your tent is super small (like mine is), then you may have to leave your boots outside.

But what if it rains?

Get 2 sets of waterproof bag covers. You should already have at least one, because you have a backpack. So you should only need 1 more.

Open both the backpack waterproof covers out. Place the first cover on the floor with the shiney side (the waterproof coated side) on the ground. Place your shoes inside the bag-cover. Next, get the second cover and put it over the top of the shoes and the bag cover. Make sure that this one envelops the waterproof cover on the ground. The idea is to make a caccoon that your shoes sit in. Then you just need to anchor then to the floor. A large stone or 2 can be used to stop water pooling up on top of the cover (place the stones inside the shoes to make a pointed roof section for the water to run off).

If you have good boots with thick soles, you can get away with just standing the boots upright, and maybe place a longish stick in one of the boots to make a slope section. Then place the bag cover over the top and tuck it under the sole of the boots.

Presto, no dirty boots in your clean small tent!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 13:06,
RE: Quick Tip #5
Or just use a bin bag?
7 April 2014, 13:13,
(7 April 2014, 13:06)BeardyMan Wrote: Or just use a bin bag?

That works, but I don't always have one with me.

Shopping carrier bags have holes in, so that can let water in. Which is why I stick with my waterproof bag covers.
7 April 2014, 13:16,
(7 April 2014, 13:13)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:06)BeardyMan Wrote: Or just use a bin bag?

That works, but I don't always have one with me.

Shopping carrier bags have holes in, so that can let water in. Which is why I stick with my waterproof bag covers.

Always keep a bin bag with you! Has many, many uses and takes up very little room.
7 April 2014, 13:18,
hint no !: if your tent is too small buy a bigger one!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 13:20,
(7 April 2014, 13:18)bigpaul Wrote: hint no !: if your tent is too small buy a bigger one!!Big Grin

Haha, you know me mate. Always looking to cut as much weight as possible. New tent is less than 3kg and it's brilliant! Getting a new bag and should be able to do a massive review once I have tested the gear and new systems together.
7 April 2014, 13:23,
(7 April 2014, 13:20)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:18)bigpaul Wrote: hint no !: if your tent is too small buy a bigger one!!Big Grin

Haha, you know me mate. Always looking to cut as much weight as possible. New tent is less than 3kg and it's brilliant! Getting a new bag and should be able to do a massive review once I have tested the gear and new systems together.

What tent have you purchased? I want a light weight one, little one man jobby, but I want one I can lay down in! Most of the ultralight ones appear to be made for fucking Hobbits. Do people over 6 feet tall not like lightweight camping or something?
7 April 2014, 13:27,
my tent is a 1979 Blacks backpacking tent, purchased new for £25 for a camping holiday in North Wales and has been with me ever since, bit of wear and tear but still useable, been all over Dartmoor with that tent, that's HIGH Dartmoor .
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 13:43,
(7 April 2014, 13:23)BeardyMan Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 13:20)Scythe13 Wrote:

What tent have you purchased? I want a light weight one, little one man jobby, but I want one I can lay down in! Most of the ultralight ones appear to be made for fucking Hobbits. Do people over 6 feet tall not like lightweight camping or something?

I'll set it up and send some pics over.

It's basically an Australian Military Issue Bivy, that also has a small pole over the head area. Not ideal for snow situations though.

So the hunt continues. At the moment though, this one kicks butt! I'm thinking about trying to mod it for more winter based situations though.
7 April 2014, 16:30,
Beardyman...like you i have yet to find a one man tent that actually fits a man sized man...but fortunately 2 hobbits = 1 generously padded slightly on the tall side man + kit(boots aswell lol) i have a north face vector 22 with the footprint....this weighs 2.5 kilo's in full order or 1.5kilo's if you don't take the inner along and use the flysheet and poles with the footprint sort of like a really posh freestanding basha...only fault i can pick is the color scheme , bronze and grey(works in woodland for about a month in early autumn) i'd rather it was olive green, the vector 22 has been supersceeded now but they do an equivalent with the same capabilities...not cheap but its been my no 1 tent for over 5 years.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!