Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking how Unknown your BOL is.
14 April 2014, 10:04,
Checking how Unknown your BOL is.
This is just a quick post, and I really hope it doesn't turn into a name calling festival of he-said-she-said-they-said-I-said....etc.

It's literally just an idea, and I'd like to put it out there and get some feedback from it.

Granted this is a slightly expensive way to check, and I'm sure there are MANY other cheaper ways to check, but this one appealed to me because I'm looking for an excuse to buy the gear and justify it to the wife haha. But that's off the subject so don't comment on it.

When checking for wildlife, e.g. foxes and the alike, you can get motion activated 'wildlife' cameras. Basically you put them on a trail and they will take pictures of whatever moves infront of the camera. Totally silent, using IR light and cameras in the night, and normal spectrum in the day.

The thought is, you could set up a camera or 2 close to your BOL, but in a hidden location that still allows overview of the area. If you left the equipment in place a week or so, you would get pictures of any animals, 4 legged or 2 legged, that would move close to your BOL.

The benefits of this are 2 fold. Firstly you get to see what people, if any, know of the location of your BOL (if there is any graffiti or vandalism there, then clearly it's going to be teens or early 20's, so you don't need to go down this route). Secondly, you'll get the glorious benefit of knowing what animals are active around your location! How amazing would that be if you suddenly found there to be deer in the vacinity, that you didn't know about? Pretty awesome hu?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 April 2014, 10:30, (This post was last modified: 14 April 2014, 10:34 by Binnie.)
RE: Checking how Unknown your BOL is.
Thats a pretty good idea tbh! i like it,

though, i'd more than likely spot them with my NVG's Smile

does anyone know what the battery life is on one of these "wildlife cameras?"
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
14 April 2014, 11:34,
(14 April 2014, 10:30)Binnie Wrote: does anyone know what the battery life is on one of these "wildlife cameras?"

You can get some that will wire up to a small solar trickle charger. You don't need LOADS of electricity to keep one running, so you could position the panel in a semi-decent location, and wire it in. If you could get brilliant sunlight, that would be ideal, but because the camera isn't an electricity hungry device, it would be fire just to get reasonable light on the panel.
14 April 2014, 12:54,
i'll ge googling these when i get home actually, i can think of a variety of uses for them!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
14 April 2014, 13:50,
Just been goggling myself, and can think of a couple of uses for these.......

http://www.ebuyer.com/434331-swann-outba...wwod10gAuQ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acorn-Wildlife-C...B00873DB5S

http://www.plusbuyer.com/solarshot-pir-g...-3436.html
14 April 2014, 14:00,
They are a brilliant bit of kit but beware they are expensive to lose....i know of them being taken by thieves and at over £200 a pop thats pretty galling.....hide them well and i'd be very dubious of putting them on common land.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
14 April 2014, 16:31,
I have one of these and modified it to use D cell batteries instead of AA so it can record for over a month. I use it to scout out potential BOL and cache sites. Really worth its price for the Intel you can acquire. I discounted several sites after finding out how popular they were.
One wooded site off an unclassified road only had 4 cars a day pass it. These were locals passing in the morning and returning in early evening. A quick drive through the hamlet 2 miles down the road confirmed they were locals commuting. No one entered the wood in the month I monitored. Great Intel hard to get by any other means.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
14 April 2014, 17:25,
A bit more expensive, but much better for security is to conceal and rig a Wavetec "chip" camera, using an untraceable prepaid cell phone as a wireless connection to an internet portal, kept charged with a solar panel, connected to a motion detector. The better units have IR, zoom and pan capability, and the outfit will remail "asleep" until the motion detector is activated, at which point it sends an alert to your smart phone and you click on the link and can qatch the video in real time, with geocoding, time and date stamps embedded. If it is just a bear in the trash can, then you know, or if a trespasser you can forward the alert to the local sheriff or a neighbor.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
14 April 2014, 23:00,
Excellent idea Scythe, I see you are turning into a right sneeky bugger. I thought about using these to monitor deer movement. So I could photograph themAngel
14 April 2014, 23:14,
(14 April 2014, 23:00)Tartar Horde Wrote: Excellent idea Scythe, I see you are turning into a right sneeky bugger.

Turning into? More like showing my true colours haha