Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wind and solar farms
1 August 2015, 19:27,
wind and solar farms
as I drive around the uk im seeing more and more solar and wind farms
wind mainly in the north
sun mainly in the south

do you have any plans to use this energy if the shtf , would you know how to , if you do please explain.
Survive the jive (youtube )
1 August 2015, 19:30,
RE: wind and solar farms
I'm planning to use it before shtf. Just waiting to have available funds & I want solar at home & either solar or wind at my allotment.
1 August 2015, 20:08,
We already have quite a few solar cases, slabs and a hub that form part of our SHTF kit.
These will be used to keep our handhelds charged, wife's insulin cool, run emergency 12V strip lights (thinking about LEDs though) and are portable enough if shared over 4-5 people's bergens.

WHB
1 August 2015, 20:54, (This post was last modified: 1 August 2015, 20:58 by Devonian.)
(1 August 2015, 19:27)Sunna Wrote: as I drive around the uk im seeing more and more solar and wind farms
wind mainly in the north
sun mainly in the south

do you have any plans to use this energy if the shtf , would you know how to , if you do please explain.

I've been involved in a few of the 'commercial' wind and solar projects and if anyone thinks they can just tap into them, it won't be that simple. As with any power station, the voltages and currents involved are not at domestic levels, bear in mind that these systems are feeding into the National Grid.

However, there will often be a 240v take off for local services somewhere in the setup.....

PS, in the South West we have a lot of wind turbines, plus also an increasing number of solar farms as well.

In addition to this, a lot of bigger farms also have anaerobic digestion plants which generate a large proportion of the farms energy needs. In some cases farms are actually able to operate 100% off-grid and still pump out additional electricity to the grid at certain times of the day.

For my own needs, I'm fairly reliant now on my own 12v solar systems.
2 August 2015, 09:07,
ill have to get me one of those yellow boxes the builders use then...Wink
Survive the jive (youtube )
2 August 2015, 09:48,
(2 August 2015, 09:07)Sunna Wrote: ill have to get me one of those yellow boxes the builders use then...Wink

They're no good, all they do is step the voltage down from 240v to 110v, which is what most site tools and lighting is run off, for safety, being lower voltage.
2 August 2015, 22:58,
And they are transformers so they only work on AC. Solar panels make DC.

If you don't understand electricity you run a risk of getting killed whilst raiding a solar farm. If TS has really HTF, and you find yourself in a position to "liberate" some panels from a farm, then perhaps the easiest tool to disconnect panels with would be a fibreglass handled axe, chop the cables between panels and remove them singly. Find someone who knows what they are doing to connect them up for you - possibly in exchange for a panel or two.
3 August 2015, 10:00,
It seems I mis-understood the OP. I'm not planning on putting industrial stuff to use, I enjoy breathing. I'm looking at small scale residential use items.
3 August 2015, 17:45,
what about some of these roadside flashing speed warning signs? I think they use solar to charge them, can anyone think of a use for them? electrics and electronics I know nothing about and I intend to leave well enough alone and not tempt fate.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 August 2015, 18:16,
Dream on folks.

An operating solar farm or a place with working solar panels is going to be high on the list of protected places for whatever person, group or population is in charge of that area.

Realistically, their portion of the grid would not be shut down and protecting that asset would be priority #1.

You will be shot on sight for entering the grounds of a solar farm "post event". They will turn the dogs on you and hang you with your own boot laces.