Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone keeping Fish for food?
16 November 2015, 21:18,
Anyone keeping Fish for food?
Anyone breeding carp or catfish or tilapia or what ever as a food prep in a garden pond , if so what species, how big is your pond, what filters do you use, does it need heating?, is it an above ground pond or buried pond?

16 November 2015, 21:25, (This post was last modified: 16 November 2015, 21:26 by MaryN.)
RE: Anyone keeping Fish for food?
We have a nice big pond, NR. It started out as a sort of pleasure thing, but I've started viewing it with new eyes. I reckon we have at least 100+ fish in it, some of them a decent size. A few of those on toast wouldn't go amiss. And of course there's the prospect of having a water storage facility, even if it did need filtering.

No, we don't heat it or filter it - the greenery keeps the level of algae down to a manageable level.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
16 November 2015, 21:30,
I once had a good article on old monastery stew ponds looked after by the clerics and they managed to get quite large healthy carp to over 20 pounds in weight, trouble is I cannot find it now.

16 November 2015, 21:43,
NR I think most of the old estates had their own fish farms. It was easy picking and in times of hardship at least it was something to eat.
16 November 2015, 21:52,
I have plans for one but not got one yet.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 November 2015, 22:02,
What I remember ( I think) was they fed the carp on corn, wheat , maze etc and waste from the dining table, archive researchers suggested large reed beds provided filtration and aerobic bacteria, and places for fry to hide.

16 November 2015, 23:10,
When I finally move have plans for aquaponic set up, but with crayfish instead of fish. Prefer crayfish, and the wife won't eat fish unless it's in finger form or has a picture of the dude with the marvellous white beard on it. Downside is, if I remember correctly, that they may need additional food. If you live near a water source, do try to ensure that none of the little blighters escape one night...

Of course, could always have a twin tank set up, grow some little fishes to feed Claws. Win win, unless you're a fish I suppose.
17 November 2015, 08:41,
You can feed the big carp on just about anything - they're really greedy. Not sure about waste from the dining table though.
17 November 2015, 11:06,
(16 November 2015, 21:30)NorthernRaider Wrote: I once had a good article on old monastery stew ponds looked after by the clerics and they managed to get quite large healthy carp to over 20 pounds in weight, trouble is I cannot find it now.

I remember reading about the monastic "stew pond" system at University during a semester covering "monasticism" (well it would be wouldn't it. I covered the basics in an earlier post probably a year or so back now. I could give you the basic outline of their system if you wish.
17 November 2015, 12:48,
Yes please.