Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Food that grows itself
24 August 2012, 10:36,
RE: Food that grows itself
how about

clover its is easy to find in the wild. Its seeds are edible, and its dried flower heads can be used to brew tea. You can eat its leaves raw, just immerse them in salt water first to help with digestion

Burdock it thrives in open meadows and gardens, but they are not useless weeds. You can peel the leaf stalks and eat them raw, and their taproot is edible as well. Be careful not to mistake this plant for the belladonna (deadly nightshade), which is poisonous.

dandelions a flowering weed that runs rampant throughout the country, and its seeds, crowns, roots, leaves and flower petals are all edible.

Thistles grow in the wild on open fields throughout the country. Distinguished by its spiky leaves, thistles can serve as a tasty potherb. Just cut off the leaves’ sharp tips, peel the rind off the root and use salt water to boil these parts of the plant.

Cattails flourish in or near bodies of water. Peel away the outer layer of the shoots to reveal a white core, use clean water to rinse them off and eat these tender shoots raw or cooked. High in starch, their roots are also edible.

Bulrush they typically grows in or around swamps, and its roots, stems and seeds are all edible, whether cooked or raw.

Lamb’s Quarters a fast-growing annual plant often for a worthless weed, but lamb’s quarters are actually edible and quite nutritious. The seeds are a healthy snack and the leaves and stems taste similar to spinach when cooked.

Wild Onion found on various landscapes, such as rocky slopes, prairies and forests, the wild onion smells and tastes similar to its domestic counterpart. Just peel off the outer layers and boil the bulb in a pot of salt water.

6 October 2012, 19:42,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...rkKss#t=0s
(27 September 2011, 10:30)Skean Dhude Wrote: Brian,

I enjoy the looking around to see nature in its glory. And then eating it.

I'm a bit wary of mushroom, there is an article on the main site about them. You need practice to correctly identify them. Best get that now.

hope this helps.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
6 October 2012, 21:26,
i have the same book as jd1 check it out sd you get it from amazon.....good book pocket size
7 October 2012, 08:59,
Come camping with me SD. I'll show you the delicious foods of the woods......from my books.

If you're next down this way, bring a scanner and I'll let you have a scanned copy of my books.

There should be some nature walk people around North Wales, that you could see. They'll be more help than anything else.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 October 2012, 20:11,
just checking to view rate on this post , and now i,m back in the room ! to the point prepare !!!!!!
7 October 2012, 21:15,
Hazel nuts are a good one, a handfull has as much protein as a medium size steak!. Me and the wife went out foraging today, hazel nut, sloes , crab apple, pignut, hawthorn, we even found a pear tree growing in the hedgerow. In the past we have planted useful plants and tree's (propagated from local seeds and cuttings), in handy locations then mapped them all so we would'nt forget.

Fenman
7 October 2012, 22:15,
Good plan. Hiding in plain sight.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 August 2013, 22:23,
Fat hen is a common weed thats good eaten raw or cooked.
Its a strange plant because it grows 9 months of the year from seed, what i mean is the seed from the same plant germinate at three different times of the year.
It grows well in cultivated soil so its often found around the edges of allotments because its so hard to get rid of.
You can tell its fat hen because when you rub a leaf between your fingers it leaves an almost gritty residue on your fingers.
Fat hen is part the spinach family and we all know how good that is.
It actually has a higher nutritional value than spinach.
There are other plants that look similar to fat hen but they are from the spinach family as well so you cant go wrong. These have the same gritty feel to the leaves.
17 August 2013, 11:00,
(7 October 2012, 21:15)Fenman Wrote: Hazel nuts are a good one, a handfull has as much protein as a medium size steak!. Me and the wife went out foraging today, hazel nut, sloes , crab apple, pignut, hawthorn, we even found a pear tree growing in the hedgerow. In the past we have planted useful plants and tree's (propagated from local seeds and cuttings), in handy locations then mapped them all so we would'nt forget.

Fenman
Hazel nuts are one of the best wild foods you can find, our Palaeolithic ancestors certainly thought so as you find them all over human sites. Fenman is correct, they are very high in protein and fat and can be very common if you can beat the Squirrels to them. The root of the Cat tail is also high in Carbs and tastes great roasted in the embers of a fire alongside your nutsBig Grin. The gravel pits around me have a large population of Swam Mussels and you don't need a lot for a feed as they can be quite big.
22 August 2013, 17:18,
We have a lot of Hawthorn hedges around us, the young leaves can be eaten in the spring when most tender and the Haws (berries) make a good jelly to accompany meats although they're too bitter to eat raw.

Something else we have near by is wild roses. The hips are packed with Vit C, more then most fruit, something which will be in demand post SHTF
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.