Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
butchery
6 February 2012, 18:37,
RE: butchery
(6 February 2012, 16:47)uks Wrote: Several years ago we took the dicision to move away from buying and using prepared products and that we would make our own. If i said its just as quick that would not be true it does take a bit longer but we make enough for 2 or 3 meals and freezing it. What we dont grow we buy as local as we can. Buying the meat direct and butchering it yourselfs save between £20-25 that we would have to pay a butcher. So the meat comes out as cheap as you can buy in the supermarkets, but of the highest quaility.

we havent eaten supermarket meat for years, wife comes from a town 13 miles away where there was a slaughterhouse which worked for Tesco's and she KNEW that the meat wasnt hung but sent out straight away to the supermarket, so we buy ALL our meat either at local markets or farm shops, this way we know the meat is good and from a reliable source. we may pay a bit more than supermarket prices but not much and the taste is so much better.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 February 2012, 18:43,
Find local smallholders mate ive just paided £80 for half a lamb 20-22 kilo's
6 February 2012, 18:50,
(6 February 2012, 18:43)uks Wrote: Find local smallholders mate ive just paided £80 for half a lamb 20-22 kilo's
we buy our Hoggitt(not quite Mutton) sheep at our local farm shop for £55-£60 for a half.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 February 2012, 18:54,
Thats a lamb 1 year plus?.
6 February 2012, 18:56,
(6 February 2012, 18:54)uks Wrote: Thats a lamb 1 year plus?.

yes.Big Grin anything between 1 and 2 years.
6 February 2012, 18:58,
These are 6 months old
6 February 2012, 19:08,
(6 February 2012, 18:58)uks Wrote: These are 6 months old

ah! i see! i prefer more Mutton type meat, lamb is quite expensive at the moment, or it is around here, wife has just reminded me that the current price NOW this time of year is £60 per half, thats cut up, jointed, however you want it, ready to put in the freezer.
6 February 2012, 19:10,
Im having one hell of a job getting rennet to make junket. Can you recommend any place down there with online shop?.
6 February 2012, 19:13,
(6 February 2012, 19:10)uks Wrote: Im having one hell of a job getting rennet to make junket. Can you recommend any place down there with online shop?.

OH has just said try a Deli or Wholefood shop.
6 February 2012, 19:18,
Tried them in my area no luck. If you see some for sale please let me know.