Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
17 March 2019, 12:07,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Most of the outdoors work was put on hold this week , high winds and constant rain spoiled my plans , so in the polytunnel I hid sowing some yellow pair tomatoes , cucumbers, basil , coriander , green beans , and stuff I cannot even remember.

Then into the workshop , repairing some drawers for wild child ...that soon got done everything is now sweetness and light (from her request to completion just one hour) sorry men ! I had no prepared excuse not to...…..then things took a further nose dive , "we can make some pies and pasties if you like " …….yes that would be good sweaty I said ………...bastard weather !
21 March 2019, 18:06,
The potato raised bed is ready to plant up , it ended up 6 ft x 8 ft …….planted out some more cabbage, onion sets , broad beans ,lettuce , and sown two types of carrots direct into the prepared raised beds , planted up nine buckets and transferred some good solid tomato plants.

Been picking up bits n bobs nails,screws,hinges,cable ties,wire clamps,D rings , braided rope , wood glue, epoxy 2 part ,brackets of different types , fuses for auto and household …...when I see something I now just grab it especially if its on offer …...to many times I have said i'll get it later only to find (its gone ) so our motto is now when you see it ….get it ……..off up to john the farm tomorrow with six tomato tubs all ready to go ….I will place them in his greenhouse , then into his kitchen for tea and welsh cakes .
22 March 2019, 18:38,
I've been going through my seed box. I have a load of old seeds, so I am trying to bring things up to date. Everything gets two shots at germination. If nothing comes up thatr packet of seed goes in the bin. Some seeds have surprised me by germinating after years of storage; others ...nada. Ho hum. At least my stocks will be up to date.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
24 March 2019, 17:17,
just a thought Mary.....I have tried something (new to me ) this year, germinating the seeds on a paper (kitchen roll) paper..... using a cap full of hydro peroxide to a small bottle of (rain water) give it a shake and use (just enough of this mix ) to dampen down the paper …..place seeds on the paper …...then fold the paper towel over the seeds then fold over the opposite way …..so you end up with one quarter …….slip this into a Ziploc poly bag and place on the window sill …….check when you see the seeds start to sprout , then plant on into pots......up to now the results have been brilliant ……3% hydro peroxide …….also been spaying seed pots with the same mix …...the cucumbers have come on big time (never seen such growth) EVER before they are 3" high right now ! the tomatoes are 4/6 inches high ….never ever seen such growth …...up at the garden centre earlier ….£1.25 for one tomato plant …...I have seventy and better ….." why so many SS " ………….I don't bloody know ! ……….everything in that small polytunnel is doing fantastic ! …..I can't get any more in there , also …..been introduced to the benefits of Epsom salts and healthy plants , I have now got 20 kls of it …..plus a gallon of hydro peroxide in stock plus 200 ltrs of perlite …….in fact I have grown 8" taller just this very week ! .
24 March 2019, 19:18,
That's really interesting, SS. I might try that out. It sounds a bit like germinating cress on a flannel.
I use Epsom Salts for a lot of things - poulticing horses' feet for one! It's also great for putting in your bath if you have aching muscles, and does a great job on splinters if you use it in a poultice. It's amazing how many of the basic things you find in your cupboard can be put to a lot of uses.
28 March 2019, 18:04,
Been reading up and looking on the net …..Molasses......two tablespoons added to watering can applied to your tomatoes every two weeks will add to the flavour so never tried that before ! something else to try.....I have a gallon of molasses already in stock .

Been power washing the deck ….nice and clean now also moved the position of the gate and built new steps , emptied 23 tubes along the deck and refilled with new compost …..ready to plant up for wild child flowers …..she is all smiles …………..onwards !
30 March 2019, 15:56,
Are being infiltrated and used as a "dead drop" by Russian terrorists?
30 March 2019, 17:35,
No MB …...the translation reads "Hey straight shooter ! we think you should tell another funny joke it's been a while ….in fact to long comrade ! …….then they go on about payment rates depending on how funny the joke …...bla bla ……...well I am not doing it ! ………………………………...not even for 50 euros ! cheeky buggers …..however I did mention you were looking for a new tank bag for your new bike ….with the proviso (it must be empty).
30 March 2019, 18:58,
What is that about? Does anyone on the Forum speak Greek?
31 March 2019, 16:41,
I do not understand why anyone would want to post on any forum in a foreign language.

I have just ordered another four hand syphon pumps, i keep one in each vehicle for “collecting” fuel, but i want another two in the camper BOV and two for home, one for untreated water and one for treated potable water, in the week i bought some cheap plastic jugs (from B&Q) for the same.

Ordered some 8 x 4 sheets of 1/2 plywood to be delivered. The weakest point of entry to our house is the french doors so i will make two boarding up panels just in case.

Have started to cut some 1/4 ply for a battery box (for 2nd leisure battery).