Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
25 January 2023, 18:10,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
(25 January 2023, 15:09)bigpaul Wrote: all BB said was it was a shame the American members didnt seem to be posting, no need to be rude.

Lol cheers mate ,can’t see anything that I said was out of order,what’s he talking about ?
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
26 January 2023, 09:42,
(25 January 2023, 18:10)Barneyboy Wrote:
(25 January 2023, 15:09)bigpaul Wrote: all BB said was it was a shame the American members didnt seem to be posting, no need to be rude.

Lol cheers mate ,can’t see anything that I said was out of order,what’s he talking about ?
usual American rhetoric as far as I can see, mate.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 February 2023, 22:20,
(26 January 2023, 09:42)bigpaul Wrote:

FFS grow up you two.
3 February 2023, 12:12,
(2 February 2023, 22:20)Pete Grey Wrote:
(26 January 2023, 09:42)bigpaul Wrote:

FFS grow up you two.

just a chat between friends, Pete old boy!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 February 2023, 15:47,
Dug over and weeded eleven raised beds revitalised all with fish blood and bone , growmore and chicken pellets , they are ready to grow in a few weeks , cleaned out the test rig aquaponics bed ready to rock .

Having a good tidy up around the drive mostly leaves that I will compost……then I’ll clean all the containers ready for this years crop, the sil has sown some peppers , chillies , tomatoes , cucs in the propagators then we will transfer to the heated greenhouse .

The big poly tunnel aquaponics will be emptied and cleaned in the coming days along with the hydroponics set up , the self watering beds will have a good clean also . Pruned the fruit bushes and some fruit trees just some plum trees to do …..all have had a handful of fish blood and bone …….fix bayonets men ! .
11 February 2023, 14:22,
Up bright and early this morning , hitched up the trailer and off up johns farm to get some well rotted horse manure , I was not disappointed ……pure black gold ! It looked that good I nearly put a handful in my mouth ! …..on my return I offl loaded into the raised beds folded and worked in and raked off , dressed the top with some wood ash .

Yesterday we moved two hives in order to gain more ground for veggies , so I will get the one raised bed back and room for another two or three beds …..and no guards to worry about ! ……turned the heater on in the small poly tunnel , made another propagator it’s up and running and full of peas and french beans …..walk on boy !
7 March 2023, 13:09,
The peas and french beans have not germinated ! These were in the poly tunnel and in the propagator with heat ? ….I will sow more ! ……all raised beds have been clotched up ready for residents .

The runner bean trench is ready and the canines are up …..early I know but it’s done . I have held off the test bed aquaponics because of this cold snap I will get that going two weeks time to play safe .

I have sown some more tomatoes “money maker” for some friends …..the sil has already sown a pile of stuff and it’s all coming on strong ….transplanting is becoming urgent ! …..I will move some plants into the small poly tunnel and use some tubs to plat them on , there is heat on in there , the onions and potatoes I planted out seem to be okay but they are protected and covered anyway .

There are more potatoes to plant out in the ground and into tubs as soon as this cold snap ends , beetroot and spring onions , cabbage , leeks , carrots , and turnips will also go in before the end of this month .

The only digging left to do is the reclaimed ground where the bees were about 30ft x 8 ft will get that done this week . I will take a trip upto johns farm soon , going to take my tiller up with me and attack his veggie garden for him he’s 89 this year and slowing up ….but he is still interested ….and loves his fresh food ! .

We sorted his Rayburn out last week , he converted it to oil a couple of years back , so with the help of my mate tony we sorted the bugger out ! It now runs like a new one ! ….and it’s nice to see him sat in the kitchen with his one arm resting on his walking stick and the other holding a cup of tea and his wife all smiles …..she is warm again
19 March 2023, 12:18,
Well John the farm is happy ! Took up the rotovator last Monday and did the lot , raked off nice and tidy …..ready for him to plant , I have to tell you his soil is absolutely excellent quality , I spent two days on gas n air while I recovered , the only thing left to do up there is to fit his poly tunnel cover…..but this time I will spike the bugger down ….I will not leave it to others ….he will be off to the races once it’s done .

Meanwhile back at the ranch,

Sown 19 30kilo tubs of “Nicola “ potatoes “ 1 60kilo tub of carrots , another raised bed of onions .

Down the big poly tunnel , I gave the aquaponics setup a bloody good clean , then a good rinse and pumped it all out , I re,levelled all the pipe work then refilled it all adding new nutrient , it’s ready to rock ! .

The test bed aquaponics I am going to refill this afternoon , with all to stuff the sil has sown it now has to be transferred on ( in the big poly tunnel ) .

Bought a bag of live worm castings ……going to try that out this year ….a top dressing and make a tea for watering my table and chair is getting used a fair old bit this year !

Gave all the fruit trees and bushes another good dusting of fish blood and bone ! .

The hens are doing fantastic and producing well averaging 35 eggs plus a week ! Happy with that !

So how are things with you lot ? ……..you can tell me ! It won’t go any further .
20 March 2023, 20:10,
I am still watching out the window for the arrival of spring.

We are still going well below 0c every night and often not over 2-3c
during the day.

If I tried to use a polytunnel in my 25-45 mph constant winds it would be shot down for a Chinse spy balloon by the end of the day.

Besides that, if I tried to keep up with what you do it would make me the favorite customer of the local meth dealers. They would find me dead in the garden hugging a tomato plant like the Godfather!
20 March 2023, 23:12,
I just sprayed a mouthful of coffee across the table and a little bit hit wild child’s glasses , just gave them a clean ! …..she did not seem to appreciate the last paragraph as much as I did ! .

It’s easy to forget weather conditions outside of where my part of the world is ! Especially after waiting on our local weather to turn so I can crack on doing something of use ….and gives me a purpose and reason to get out of bed …..I can still achieve something these days and provide , be under no illusions MB I do feel tired at days end but I think the toil is worth it along with the anticipation of the fresh produce if I am lucky , besides the way things are heading we will all be forced into producing food sooner rather than later ….even in containers !

The way of life we knew as young kids will return my friend , hard times are coming back in fashion ,future generations will have to learn the old ways to survive and I wish them good luck .