Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
3 August 2017, 17:22,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Yes, where?

We have been known to drive a good way for the right beer!
4 August 2017, 11:37,
He lives within commuting distance of New York where he works in I.T.
ATB
Harry
4 August 2017, 12:15,
So my question is, does anyone else brew their own beer/wine ...as a prep or hobby ....or both ?
13 August 2017, 17:24,
Had more top soil delivered and levelled it out , moved the top poly tunnel back into position
on the top , will make new door n frame ....moved all the treated timber inside the PT until i am fit enough to rebuild the raised beds.....made more level ground for veggies (more raised beds) . The aquaponics building will be sorted as soon as the tomato,s are finished so we can remove the greenhouse and re site it to the bottom ground.....changed my mind about my brewing in the garage .....i will build a new place and incorporate the aquaponics set up so heating costs can be more efficient.

The bee hive arrived this morning along with 35000 squatters ...we concreted a base and made a timber stand to set the hive on.....looking good , we set some steel eye bolts into the concrete to attach a tie belt to hold the hive down (just in case of high winds ) we intend to have a few more hives when we master the art a bit .....there is loads of work to get done and i can't wait to get fit ....i am one miserable M F oh has packed her case a few times in as many weeks .......my knees hurt from begging and pleading insanity so she will stay.
17 August 2017, 23:03,
(4 August 2017, 12:15)Straight Shooter Wrote: So my question is, does anyone else brew their own beer/wine ...as a prep or hobby ....or both ?

No SS but is something I'm looking into doing asap. Looking at what might be the easiest type of brew to get started as a newbie, either low yield fermenting only and or high yield distilling. Any advice/tips on what the best brewing would be to start on?

LAC
18 August 2017, 10:37,
I have made homemade wine over the years LAC normally old fashioned methods ...but not regular production ...hit and miss, but now i have time to do things RIGHT i intend to make it a part of my everyday things to do.....i have bought beer KITS in a can to start me off ....... easy to do for anyone starting off .....i will be concentrating on homemade wines though ...blackberry,gooseberry,damson and parsnip .....although you can also buy KITS for these also and very nice they are too , on one trip to my mates place one Sunday morning twenty years back (try this one ..what do you think ) led my wife having to be called to collect me....."aye he can't drive his van.....its his legs...they don't work you see " raspberry wine or known to the locals as "last years sunshine "
18 August 2017, 20:10,
Well, S, you are concentrating on the homemade wine(delicious!), and I'm on the homemade preserves. It's been a fantastic year in the fruit section of the garden and this year we have been overwhelmed with produce. I have given loads away, but am now stocking up my preserves cupboard. For the first time I have actually got greengages in enough quantity to do something with, and they are delicious. I don't know what is coming down the line ahead, but we will have something sweet to eat in the store cupboard!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
18 August 2017, 20:52,
I will be on the preserves (along with wifey.....think Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore ..Mary)
lol ....no damsons this year the tree was savaged by a JCB last year....but has recovered so next year should have plenty ....all other seedlings are coming on strong ....more red and black currants , gooseberries, damsons,plumbs ,blueberries ,raspberries and apple , pair cherry have come on fantastic and should crop well next year, .....off to pick blackberries this weekend ....for wine and no doubts a tart or three for the freezer, i have a glut of elder berries so plenty for wine and jelly ...be ready about two/three weeks and by then i will be pickling onions and shallots.......the timber for the brewing ,preserving and aquaponics shed is arriving next Monday.....cutting lists are ready ....workshop is ready....all i need now is to get on .......slow ....but move forwards....will need a diversion plan for the commandant....she has eyes and ears like a shit house rat.
20 August 2017, 23:13,
Thanks for the tips. I think I will start out with mead. Seems simplest and cheapest and I love honey Smile Will report back...
26 August 2017, 21:28,
Picked ten pounds of blackberries ...washed them and put them in the freezer (until the new shed is built ) which i started last Wednesday ....as of today ...Saturday the 12 ft x 8 ft building is up all external cladding and roof is completed.

I will lay a timber floor tomorrow and insulate between the joists .....next week i will insulate the the roof and all the walls and clad over with OS board....swing the door and make two windows....when that is done i will get on with some units , worktops and shelving...then the electrics and water supply (which are right on the job ).....btw i changed my mind yet again....the aquaponics will be a separate building.....the SIL has made ready a base to re site the greenhouse ....all that remains is waiting for the last of the tomato's to ripen then the move will take place.....Bees are doing fine so the Sil reports......