Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
22 March 2018, 18:22,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
What you describe is the American way of life, in the UK very few have a farming heritage, most people eat ready meals and shop at supermarkets, if they buy fresh meat it’s in plastic trays and is eaten that day. You can find real butchers who will sell you half a pig or a whole lamb but it’s not easy.
22 March 2018, 19:35,
Crikey, Pete, that is how I buy my meat. I have a very good local (country) butcher who rears his own stock. It's fantastic meat. I buy a half animal at a time. I have 3 freezers! We don't eat processed food if we can avoid it!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
22 March 2018, 20:38,
(22 March 2018, 19:35)MaryN Wrote: Crikey, Pete, that is how I buy my meat. I have a very good local (country) butcher who rears his own stock. It's fantastic meat. I buy a half animal at a time. I have 3 freezers! We don't eat processed food if we can avoid it!

Lucky you Mary, i’m jealous.
22 March 2018, 21:00,
Everyone ! ........up Mary's for Sunday lunch.......this Sunday.....Mary my favourite is beef, rack of ribs ....oh, no bloody Bisto ....gravy HAS to be homemade ummm can't wait.

p.s. i like my roasties crunchy outside and soft on the inside .....btw is 11oc am okay.......i,ll do the dishes.
22 March 2018, 21:10,
Oh stop it, SS! You're making me feel hungry. Bisto? What is Bisto?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
23 March 2018, 14:32,
I'd gotten away with Bisto until last Christmas.....

Visited daughter#1 in her newly built house for the festivities, and it was my turn to cook the trad roast... except I'd forgotten to bring the fab Bisto with me so had to resort to making gravy the proper way.

It seems that my efforts were good as the girls are becoming very demanding for more (gravy SS!). Will they go back to the easy life of Bisto granules? Not a chance. I'm doomed:-(
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

23 March 2018, 20:47,
Why do we need Bisto?, we cook beef in beer, pork in cider and venison in red wine..............
24 March 2018, 00:18,
exactly Pete.

It was the wine and stock based gravy that was my undoing...
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 March 2018, 18:29,
Nice n sunny here today ! made another cold frame 3ft x 2ft and fixed it to the brew shed ...re'sited the rainwater butt, then coated up the cold frame.....planted up some potatoes in both boxes....back filled more raised beds.....the brew shed .....had a spring clean and a good bleaching ......like a new pin now ! ready for beer n wine production....my mason jars arrived yesterday ....and are stacked out .....loads of seeds have also arrived.....next week ought to get most of the preparations sorted ready for the main events....but still loads to do around the ground......still have to get those stores sorted out .. fitted new poly carbonate sheet to front and rear of digger so i can play in the rain ! all in all things are taking shape around here.
26 March 2018, 21:59,
I just got down from the roof!

I had a med appointment this AM and on the way in the lane I spotted torn roofing on the back porch roof.

Up to the top with hammer and nails!

That roof section is the old tarpaper and grit stuff and the wind had flipped up and over. I got it pinned back down and nailed securely.

It needed a slathering of fresh tar but I had none and needed to do something quickly due to approaching rain.

I will need to get up there and do a proper job when spring finally arrives.