Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
13 October 2018, 15:59,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Over here the sheeple do the opposite to what is recommended by tptb, if told to evacuate they would stay put, or head for the supermarket and fight over a loaf of bread.

If a winter storm is forecast and they are told not to drive they jump into their cars unprepared, and put the rescue services in danger
14 October 2018, 20:34,
We won’t be putting the new pond liner in this week as storm Callum has filled the pond up, we will do it next time the water level drops.

Tomorrow weather permitting i will top up vehicle fuel tanks, car and camper van, from the jerrycans, and get the jerrycans refilled with fresh fuel. I know properly stored fuel will be good for at least a year but for half an hours work, i change it every six months.
15 October 2018, 15:55,
My Jeep is running on petrol I put in the tank 2 years ago.

My Nissan sat for 18 months then started and ran on the fuel in the tank with no issues.

Changing it out if you have time is fine and shifts the use by date well ahead, but the fuel will be fine for several years from your storage date.
15 October 2018, 16:18,
That is my intention MB just extend the use by date. I also have fuel additives at hand as a last resort if i need to keep fuel for years.

If a vehicle has been layed up for some time i usually use a second battery and heavy duty jumper leads for an easier start, to keep the motor spinning over while the fuel is working through, weather this is good practice i do not know.
16 October 2018, 16:06,
With modern vehicles the fuel pump is normally in the tank, not at the engine pulling fuel forward. As soon as the electrics make contact you will usually hear the fuel pump do its little noise and now you have pressure pumping fuel to the injectors.

Fuel draining back into the tank and emptying you fuel lines is a sign of a secondary problem.

Even after sitting for months my old vehicles usually crank up after a couple of spins.

But I do have a couple of vehicles I can use for jumping off a stubborn one.

And a booster pack that has several uses. That little gizmo has been a real handy thing to have due to having a 12v plug and its own light on board. I often use it with 12v accessories in odd places like when a tire goes down on the garden tractor on the back of the place and I need the 12v compressor. The thing seems to hold a charge forever.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-Jum...62374.html

And there is the old fashioned battery charger which I connect any time I am dealing with one that has sit for some time.
16 October 2018, 19:16,
MB who says i have modern vehicles, the mg is 45,the others 17/18. Normally each vehicle is started once a week but sometimes things happen prevent it, they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I have made up a crate with a surplus car battery, the best jumper leads i could find (with good clips), a battery charger and also an inverter.

I’ve also put in a box of assorted vehicle fuses, an adjustable spanner and a couple of screwdrivers. The battery is kept fully charged with a small 5w solar panel on the lid (only a trickle charge but it works).

A 12v compressor is a good idea, i will do that, and a led work light. All i need then is a trolley to put it on.
16 October 2018, 20:42,
Pete Aldi's have a led work light (on a stand) for £19.95 ....comes with a mains adaptor for home charging and car lighter adaptor ....and will charge off sp2 port on you computer .....good kit ...well worth the money !
16 October 2018, 21:20,
Thanks SS i’ll look tomorrow, Aldi is only 2 miles away.
18 October 2018, 20:45,
SS i missed the work lights at Aldi they must have sold out, but i’ve ordered a lamp of ebay.

I’ve also order a new pool liner and some agricultural fleece. garden work is now just tidying up and getting ready for the winter frosts. Also getting the vehicles ready, then will concentrate on indoor jobs.
19 October 2018, 18:22,
Swung the doors and fitted two locks to the digger shed, the tracks are here tomorrow (pm) so will fit them Sunday ....got the delivery date wrong...but hey ho ....cleared the two runner bean rows stored the canes ready for next year , dug over the both plots ...had a good brush up .... moved some stuff into the digger shed , oil ,grease,antifreeze,tool box and some rags....will run some power points and lights in next week ....should be easy to service the digger and the power barrow, off up the pallet yard tomorrow for firewood (the wood stove is now in use most days) ....still waiting for the blackberry wine to dry so i can bottle up, bought ten pounds of pickling onions ...done half the sack already .....these are for the dustbin boys ,postman , and some relatives and friends who want to get closer all of a sudden .