Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
11 January 2019, 23:56,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
1.5 ton Volvo ….soon have the shelter dug out ! and the beast also on hand to get rid of the spoil third of a ton at a time.....start knocking the shutter forms up mate ! …..got a mixer as well !
13 January 2019, 14:31,
Picked up a full top pork loin this morning , just done the SS rub mix (enough for the whole loin six kilos) soft brown sugar 4 oz fine table salt 3 oz rock salt 4 oz …………in the pestle n mortar 6 bay leaves, teaspoon whole black peppercorn , teaspoon of thyme, teaspoon of garlic granules, teaspoon of mixed ground spice , teaspoon of saltpetre ….crush all together and add to the mix …..fold and blend all the mix ….you are ready to rub ! ...so its done and sitting in the brew shed fridge.... £20 .00 for the full loin , picked up some ply offcuts for some upcoming jobs …..one being the seed propagator x two the heat matts arrived yesterday Sat …picked up some various ironmongery going cheep ….could not leave it there for the price.
13 January 2019, 14:59,
Ironmongery .....in the shed and in the garage....lurking in dark corners.... there are some creatures that eat nails, screws and other bits and pieces....i keep buying stuff....but where it goes i do not know..............?
13 January 2019, 16:47,
Pete ! we got them buggers down here too ……..but they are crafty …...they actually hide things like boxes of screws,nails when they know you want to use them …...then they put them back …..when you'v gone out to buy more …..they have even hid them in other sheds ! and even worse than that ….they tidy themselves up and put themselves into nice plastic cases ….then camouflage themselves with dust , rags and old coats ….Bastards !.
13 January 2019, 18:17,
You fellows must have exported those demons over here back centuries ago because they flourish in or climate!

Just last week I spent an hour searching for my chain saw sharpening kit. I knew exactly where it should be and looked there. It had walked away. I knew it had walked away because I am the only person with a key to the shop!

I searched for an hour, looked everywhere! Finally found a suitable file and sharpened the chain by "eyeball" and did the cutting.

I finished the work and came back in. There sat the sharpening kit right there in the very first place I had looked.

It had slipped back in while I was gone.

I did the same thing once with a vehicle. Went to the shops and parked did my shopping and came out and could not find the car anywhere. I walked the entire lot up and down, no trusty blue Chevy anywhere!

I was about to call the police and report the theft when I remembered I had driven the pickup that day.
13 January 2019, 18:32,
These demons/creatures are the bane of us all, they are getting cleaver all the time, and they have a wicked sense of humour, i’m sure as i look for things i can hear laughter.
14 January 2019, 19:03,
Many years ago my wife was bouncing from room to room looking for something.

"What are you looking for Dear?"

"I'll find it! I had it just a minute ago!"

"Tell me what it is I might have seen it."

"No! I'll find it in a minute I just laid it down!"

Time went on she continued to search. Finally she caved in, "Have you seen my blasted shears?"

"They are right there on the edge of your sewing table Dear."

"You just put those there didn't you?" she replied, "you hid them and just put them right there in plain sight to make me think I am going crazy!"

Those were the good old days. Wish I had her back to fuss at me a little more.
14 January 2019, 19:48,
We have the vanishing trick here all the time. Mind, we do have a little "presence" living in this house with us.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
18 January 2019, 13:06,
The propagators are finished and ready to produce, bought some seed potatoes also some onion sets …….I held over some garlic gloves that are now shooting and ready to plant on ………...starting to prep up all the raised beds (some soil has compacted down) …..I have made plenty of compost to add in , there's lots to get on with around the ground and to keep me out the way of the traffic ! ……..going to concentrate more on what we eat in larger amounts but will try new things this year …...been using those dehydrated chillies (brilliant !) I will be cooking chicken stir fry tonight cantonise style (wild child's favourite ) with rice and chips …. oh yeah ….hit me !
20 January 2019, 01:04,
January is a strange month, it can be difficult to find things to do, the garden is dormant, no weather damage to put right, fences are all good. So that leaves inside the house to be checked out.

Over the last month i have been improving general security, making sure all doors and windows have the best locks available, upvc doors with anti-bump and anti-snap locks and 5 lever on wooden doors, however making sure we can get out quickly and safely if we have to.

Weakest point of entry are a pair of french doors, fully glazed, to which i have fitted new locking bolts and i intend to cover the glass with ballistic film in due course.

I also fitted an extra security camera to the system to cover a blind spot, these are motorised and can cover both front and back gardens.

These measures are to improve our safety and to protect our preps, we have worked hard to get what we’ve got and will do all we can to keep it.