Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
11 October 2019, 23:16,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Apart from the usual kitchen scales we have a spring balance to check how full the gas bottles are.
I like to check the weight of the crates our preps are stored in, (which will stack and are easier to load in the BOV if necessary), i use bathroom scales for this. I try to keep crates between 30 and 40 lbs for easier handling, even my wife can move these if i’m injured.
11 October 2019, 23:24,
Oops wrong button pressed....

I also have a set of digital scales (faraday protected) in a box with some laboratory glassware (beakers, flasks, measuring cylinder etc just in case.
17 October 2019, 20:42,
All vehicles are now winter ready to the best i can do, i don’t think i’ve missed anything.

I’ve posted about the camper van, now the car, the GHB has been checked, and the box of food (only for three days, if we have to wait before things quiet down to get home) and i’ve put in the summer sleeping bags.

We’ve also got a pair snow grip mats, also work on mud/wet grass if needed.
17 October 2019, 23:35,
80 Ltr / 4 Gerry cans diesel 40 Ltrs petrol all nice and fresh , 8 gallons oil , 1 gallon two stroke oil, 2 cans of dot 4 brake fluid , 2 cans wd40 , 1 gallon antifreeze , spare bulbs and fuses and a plug in inverter , tyres are 90 % good …….bought 2 new tarps .

On with new shelving in the garage to optimise room (again) …..clut of apples so I will dehydrate a pile over the coming days …
plenty to get on with and keep me away from the traffic.
18 October 2019, 20:11,
I’ve got diesel for the camper and petrol for the car, i also keep fuel stabiliser, will be added only after an event if i think there will be long time BO (two years or more ?) with no driving planned.

Thanks for the reminder about brake fluid, need more. I have an old Gunson easybleed kit (uses air in spare wheel to pressurise brake system) makes job a doddle.

I use 4life coolant, this protects down to -40C , lasts ten years, i have 1/2 gallon left so another gallon would be good to keep.

Tarps are always useful, either for shelter, or protecting/hiding things, the last ones i had (5m x 4m) from LIDL were £6.99 each, unfortunately they sold out quickly.

Don’t know what happened this year with the fruit trees, apple and pear trees next to nothing, plum trees died, neighbour had the same problem, is it desease ?. SS you’ve been very lucky.
22 October 2019, 18:57,
Yes I have been lucky Pete, these fruit trees are the ones I planted 3/4 years back (which I posted at the time ) and only paid £1.99 for from pound stretcher all but one gave fruit (the plum tree just one plum ) the pair tree ….beautiful only 12 but big and juicy , apples ….plastered and packed with full flavour , the only real attention I give them in the fall is a handful of fish blood n bone same in march and some liquid feed just before the flower and again when apples form......do not be fooled Pete I have plenty of disasters....but I don't seem to talk about them so much, funny that !

The new shelving is completed and mostly full in the garage creating lots more room......I can even now see my dovetail jig ……..WOW !
on with dehydrating apples, picked the last of the elderberries today and in the freezer ready for another batch of cold n flu mixture.

Bought 3 one gallon fuel cans and 2 more tarps...….the fuck up fairy keeps taking stuff from my shed …..and it reappears down the bottom shed....and nobody can explain why ! …..yup truly amazing...………...wild child's flower tubs are all in the top polytunnel where they will reside for the winter......the gazebo cover is now down and folded up.....the table and chairs are stacked and tarped over and all tied secure...….the leaf blower comes into its own from here on in , this is a weekly chore for me and will soon fill my temp compost make shift heap made from some pallets.
22 October 2019, 22:59,
I will take your tip and give the trees/bushes feeds especially when flowering and fruiting.
23 October 2019, 15:34,
Pete, I forgot to mention our bees ! two hives now on the go ……..and adding another two hives next year ….makes a big difference to any garden ….this may explain the bumper crop of fruit ! ……….we are looking forward to the honey next year .

Speaking of next year , I think its time to get some more hens only six , been missing a good fresh egg......and maybe two pigs , these could clear an acre of ground down the lower part that is not used , but I would have to renew the stock fencing first …..easy enough with the digger and the beast....have to get a post drill attachment off Ben ….he's got one ………….will have to get him pissed when he calls in next.
23 October 2019, 21:04,
I think they say bees pollinate three quarters of fruit trees so you’re probably right. Maybe next year you’ll be producing your own mead.

Our preps at the moment are first aid items, mainly dressings, we thought we had plenty but after some thought we realise we need many more.

Even a minor wound may need dressing every day for a week or more, so could easily get through a pack of ten, then there are steri-strips, bandages, wound wash, antiseptic, and plenty manuka honey.

We don’t always get the numbers right the first time, so will increase to at least triple stocks, need at least two hundred assorted sized dressings, and that’s a minimum.
26 October 2019, 14:26,
Ordered a couple of CREE torches from amazon ……….I will mount one on a crossbow, also bought a spare battery for the truck yesterday ( I normally keep a spare on hand ) .