Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Iran warns world of coming great event
5 February 2012, 08:25, (This post was last modified: 5 February 2012, 08:42 by uks.)
RE: Iran warns world of coming great event
I found this about potassium iodate, it maybe handy for new preppers and maybe even more experienced preppers.
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/5234
(5 February 2012, 00:33)Prep Girl Wrote:
(4 February 2012, 21:34)Scythe13 Wrote: Did someone say potassium Iodate time? haha

Try getting some , I asked my chemist to order it last year right before the Japan quake, it cost £20 for 10 tablets and £100 for the bloody delivery charge, so I bought kelp instead.

P.G. try these
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/5234
or
http://www.reagent.co.uk/potassium-iodat...tAodFFkp5A

Potassium Iodate
For emergency use only
During a nuclear disaster, such as war, terrorism, a nuclear melt down or radioactive spill, great amounts of radioactive iodine (I-131) are often released into the atmosphere. Taking Potassium Iodide (or Potassium Iodate) pills can protect against radioactive poisoning by "filling" the thyroid with this harmless substance for a period of time; long enough to allow the dangerous radioactive iodine to be "blocked" (not be absorbed), and then naturally dissipate from the area. Up to 99% of all radiation induced thyroid damage can be prevented by taking Potassium Iodide pills.

Potassium Iodate is a superior form of Potassium Iodide (KI) because of its extended shelf life and lack of bitter taste. The extra molecule of oxygen in Potassium Iodate (KIO3), can guarantee the Iodate's continued freshness without adding stabilizers. The Potassium Iodate we offer is a 85mg tablet, 200 tablets to a bottle. It should be kept sealed, dry, and out of reach of children. If unopened, it should be effective for decades. Use during a NUCLEAR EMERGENCY ONLY.

BEFORE YOU TAKE POTASSIUM IODATE (or any Thyroid Blocker):
Are you sensitive to iodine?

Do you suffer from dermatitis herpetiformis (a skin disease)?
Do you suffer from hypocomplementaemic vasculitis (an inflammation of the blood vessels)?
Have you ever been treated for thyrotoxicosis (a condition resulting from an overactive thyroid gland)?
Do you have problems with your kidneys?
Do you have, or are you being treated for problems with your adrenal glands?
Are you suffering from dehydration or cramp due to extreme heat?
Are you taking quinidine, captopril or enalopril?
Are you currently taking a diuretic (“water tablets”)?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING ANY THYROID BLOCKER--KI (POTASSIUM IODIDE) OR KIO3 (POTASSIUM IODATE)
TAKING POTASSIUM IODATE

The tablets should be taken as a single daily dose within 3 hours of exposure, or up to 10 hours after exposure, although this is less effective. Authorities will tell you if there is a need to take KIO3.

The usual recommended “daily dose” is as follows:

Adults (including the elderly): 2 tablets
Children aged 3-12 years: 1 tablet
Children aged 1 month-3 years: ½ tablet
Newborns to 1 month: ¼ tablet
For young children or newborn children, the ½ or ¼ tablet may be crushed and taken mixed with milk or water. Under emergency conditions ½ tablet may be given to newborns as a starting dose.

In cases of prolonged exposure, repeat dosing may be necessary:

1-2 days for a “small” reactor leak

10 to 14 days for a “minor” event

Longer for a catastrophic event.

If you are pregnant or breast-feeding you should normally not take more than two doses for a minor “reactor leak”. Babies up to a month old should only received one dose for a minor “reactor leak”. However, this should be determined by authorities.
If you swallow a lot of the tablets all together, or if you think a child has accidentally swallowed any of the tablets, contact your nearest hospital emergency room or Doctor immediately.

AFTER TAKING POTASSIUM IODATE
Potassium Iodate can be taken by the majority of people, without any problems. However, like medicines or even supplements, it may occasionally cause side-effects in some people. These may include:

An overactive thyroid gland (characterized by weight loss, increased appetite, intolerance to heat and increased sweating)
An enlarged thyroid gland with or without the development of a condition in which there is thickening of the skin and body tissues, most notably the face.
Although rarely, hypersensitivity reactions such as rash, swollen salivary glands, headache, wheezing or coughing, and stomach upsets may occur. If you have these or any other effects, while taking Potassium Iodate or Potassium Iodide tell a doctor immediately.
Keep In mind that if you are allergic to any Iodine product, then you will also be allergic to Radioactive Iodine. Please consult your doctor if you have any concerns.

Warnings: about 1 person in 2-million people are allergic to KI. If a rash appears then you may be only "mildly" allergic. You must make the decision, which is worse--radiation or a rash!
Remember: children are extremely susceptible to radiation. They come first -- always!

Note 1: Radioactive fallout has a half-life of eight days and remains a threat for up to ten half-lives (80 days), thus the 14 and 71 days total 85 days.
Note 2: All information shown on this page is NOT to be considered medical advice. For medical advice contact a medical doctor. We are offering the product as is, with no guarantees or warranties.
5 February 2012, 11:39,
Is it a restricted item in the UK or can anyone buy it who is not a chemist.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 February 2012, 09:20, (This post was last modified: 6 February 2012, 09:21 by Scythe13.)
(5 February 2012, 11:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: Is it a restricted item in the UK or can anyone buy it who is not a chemist.

I'm not sure if it's restricted. But there are LOADS of places online that sell it. Put it into Google Shopping and loads deliver to the UK. If it was restricted there would be a warning saying it was restricted, right? That's my defense! haha.
Anyway, about this Iran situation....

This is the number 1 story I'm watching right now. I really don't think it should be in the Controversial news section. This is headline to me.
6 February 2012, 10:28, (This post was last modified: 6 February 2012, 10:30 by Pami.)
(6 February 2012, 09:20)Scythe13 Wrote:
(5 February 2012, 11:39)Skean Dhude Wrote: Is it a restricted item in the UK or can anyone buy it who is not a chemist.

I'm not sure if it's restricted. But there are LOADS of places online that sell it. Put it into Google Shopping and loads deliver to the UK. If it was restricted there would be a warning saying it was restricted, right? That's my defense! haha.
Anyway, about this Iran situation....

This is the number 1 story I'm watching right now. I really don't think it should be in the Controversial news section. This is headline to me.

I've found a site called Biovea that sells 2 boxes of 60 capsules for £18.95 free p+p. It's Potassium Iodide though. Is that the same?
6 February 2012, 10:49, (This post was last modified: 6 February 2012, 10:49 by Scythe13.)
(6 February 2012, 10:28)Pami Wrote: I've found a site called Biovea that sells 2 boxes of 60 capsules for £18.95 free p+p. It's Potassium Iodide though. Is that the same?

Similar. It's just got a smaller shelf-life.
Good find though Pami
6 February 2012, 11:42,
Just be careful when buying from web sites. We don't want to find out after an event that it isn't what we wanted. Sometime paying a bit extra is worth it. What we need is some way to test it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin