Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shelf life ,Tinned and Dry
6 February 2012, 18:06,
RE: Shelf life ,Tinned and Dry
I think the thing to remember about long term storage of any products is to check them on a regular basis, to make sure that none of the seals have been compromised or succumbed to rust, be it the tins you have stashed or the mylar bags of food you have in sealed buckets.
For me the 15 yr plan sounds like a good one, along with the regular checks there should be no nasty surprises when you come to use your stash.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

14 October 2012, 13:36,
Just been doing stock inventory in the garage, and it is 50f in there, was wondering is the garage and particularly the floor/walls the best place to keep tinned foods, could I/should I line the floor and walls with something, maybe the tin foil backed polystyrene used underneath laminate floor, as I'm sure it gonna get alot colder in the coming months, any help or sarcastic comments welcome...lol
14 October 2012, 13:44, (This post was last modified: 14 October 2012, 13:46 by NorthernRaider.)
You need to have SOME air circulation but it needs to be cool and dry, often a double walled garage with a tiled roof should remain cool enough, however you may find that for example if its window or metal door gets the full sun on it t they act like a heating element, so some folks need to insulate the door or cover the window from the outside to ensure it stays cool. Problem is lots of folks have boilers etc in their garages these days and occasionaly they can make a garage quite warm. But 50 degrees fahreheit aint bad.
The Colder the better is the norm for food shelf life but often in garages can also get damp and its damp rather than cold that buggers up tinned or bagged foods, most of my stuff be it tins or bags is stored inside plastic tubs with lids to keep the moisture out.

15 October 2012, 13:47,
I did hear that you had to make sure they weren't badly dented as it breaks the protective coating inside the tin...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
15 October 2012, 20:39,
Hi,
I was led to belive that cans bloat when they are turning bad inside?
15 October 2012, 21:36,
(15 October 2012, 20:39)Bjm Wrote: Hi,

Yup, very true the contents produce toxic gas often containing botulism if its meats going off, or its also stuff fermenting cos its going off, tins that are dented, bloated or scratched should be avoided if possible.

16 October 2012, 12:16,
(15 October 2012, 21:36)NorthernRaider Wrote:

Yup, very true the contents produce toxic gas often containing botulism if its meats going off, or its also stuff fermenting cos its going off, tins that are dented, bloated or scratched should be avoided if possible.

Would that be good enough to coat arrow tips with for getting rid of enemies post shtf????
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
16 October 2012, 13:37,
(16 October 2012, 12:16)Prepper1 Wrote:
(15 October 2012, 21:36)NorthernRaider Wrote:

Would that be good enough to coat arrow tips with for getting rid of enemies post shtf????

Not needed just stab your arrow tips into the ground like archers of old did, sure fire way of giving the target septicaemia if you dont kill it outright.