Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping for the future in your chosen retreat location
8 February 2012, 13:38,
Prepping for the future in your chosen retreat location
In any ASHTF situation, WROL (without rule of law) will apply.
The people you see roaming the streets now burgling, raping murdering etc... do so with ROL (rule of law) in place.
It’s all well and good being able to sow seeds, grow your crops etc... but the ability to protect them is paramount. A few dozen crossbow bolts, nor alarm mines will suffice. In my opinion it’s a dangerous mistake to underestimate the enemy.
Once WROL applies, anything goes, for us and for them. You must be prepared to defend your BOL/family/food to the death with extreme prejudice, there will be NO room for second thoughts or not being able to fend off roving gangs looking for food.
Much as a lot of preppers wish to bury their heads in the sand and romanticise the whole ASHTF scenarios, we cannot be under any illusions as to just how many people will survive, and will be looking for free food and possibly sexual recreation, that last bit goes out to our female members, although males may need to consider this also. I personally think it would be more along the lines of present day Columbia with the drug cartels in charge only without the army and the police and the fear of arrest to worry about. Many preppers believe we will be left alone to get on with it, maybe if your in an armed compound like the old medieval hill forts, but you you cannot ignore history, why do you think there were hill forts with spiked log walls?, why were castles developed?, why were weapons made?
I think this site as well as others is guilty of underestimating the possible violent, deadly clashes that will erupt in the country side as well as the cities as people fight for food and their lives. Do not make the mistake of believing you are safe in the country side, history has many stories of country dwellers their belongings and their families being destroyed by invading armies and starving townies. What will you do if a gang of roving starving people 100 strong come for you?
I’m sure you’ve seen starving people fighting for food in Africa… That’s civilised behaviour with rol in place and no weapons, imagine them with no rol and all armed with spears and machete’s….
Whilst I think the possibility of us being invaded is remote, the mass exodus of civilians from cities such as London, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Sheffield, Leicester, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc... is not. Look at the population chart here: http://www.citypopulation.de/UK-England.html and for our American friends: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Uni...population
Whilst not everybody is or will flee the cities I.E. the old, infirm, the waifs and strays etc. there are and will be a great many determined, hungry and potentially violent people looking for your food and whatever else they can get.
You may not be able to defend your bol against many attackers, so what do you do?
Hide. Outfit your bol or retreat with a hidey hole for you and your family and/or your most valuable possessions, after all if it can’t be seen it can’t be taken, that goes for people as well. Plan for your bol to be attacked, plan for denial of entry for the attackers, plan for your bol to be overtaken, plan for your retreat and safe escape.
Remember the old adage: “Run away live to fight another day” fight battles you can win, don’t be overly confident of your ability to defeat large numbers of people, it’s better to bug out, regroup at an alternative R.V. and go from there. To remain alive is our goal is it not?
Failure to plan for mass exodus to YOUR location, just because you think it won’t or can’t happen could possibly be yours and your family’s/groups downfall.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
8 February 2012, 14:25,
RE: Prepping for the future in your chosen retreat location
Mike,

We are with you on this. To be fair though although we can talk about it we have no real idea of what this exodus will be. There are many conflicting reports on what will happen and this view is the worse case one. Although one I am inclined to use as my starting point.

However we, and others, are now starting to expand on this and start preparing for this event regardless of if we are in the town or country.

The mere fact we talk about it opens eyes and people will think about things.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 February 2012, 14:30,
i think this has been discussed before, it all depends on what "the event" is that causes the collapse of ROL in the first place, the only thing we can do is to prep to the maximum we can and hope that its not that bad. i'm hoping in the event that there is a large die off caused by either a pandemic or mobs fighting for what is left-in the cities and larger towns- so that not many will escape to the countryside, that would be a good result for me.Angry
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 February 2012, 14:45,
The kind of people society regard as dangerous today (drug dealers, gang members, traffic wardens Etc.) will probably spend the initial WROL period firmly concentrated on removing their rivals, aquiring weaponry and having their own numbers thinned through stupidity... Lol.
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
8 February 2012, 15:02,
I just want to open peoples eyes, it's amazing how many times you hear "that cant/wont happen because thats a townie problem" or "I'm ok because I live in the countryside" As preppers on this crowded island home, we have less space and less hiding capability than our U.S. cousins.
The situations not impossible though, just more difficult. I myself get into a mind set sometimes where I wont think outside my scenarios, thats dangerous, Murphys law always bites your ass if your not prepared or get cocky. I've been it's victim many a time...good to get the lessons out of the way now though when its not life or death. B.P's narrow country lanes are excellent for easy blocking by burned out cars or tree felling at strategic points, extending his safety zone, funneling people into specific or away from specific areas.
If you dont look at your bol or retreat with a strategic defense eye, start now, later may be too late.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
8 February 2012, 15:10,
everyone,if they dont already, needs to know their own locations thoroughly, how would you defend it? where is the best place to put a barricade? chop down a tree?, where is the best places for hunting, trapping, foraging? where is there a permanent flowing water supply not on the mains? where can you obtain firewood? etc.etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 February 2012, 10:07,
I think that's a really fair point Mike.

As people we do greatly underestimate the capability of 'The Mob' or 'Mob Dynamics' as I prefer to speak about it.

I used to work doors, but not for too long. I know there are others on here that have worked doors and more for much longer than I would dare to do. But anyway....when I used to work doors, you would get the odd person kicking off and they would come at you. If a small group kicked off, people that wouldn't dare have a go by themselves are suddenly filled with the stupidity that they have superpowered punches and they jump in. The Mob Dynamic is that everyone in there is 10x more confident and suddenly they all go for you.

The same will be true if a mob forms. The likelyhood of a very large mob forming from the city and coming into the countryside is relatively low, in my opinion. There will be small groups of 10-15. But I don't think a country-dweller would be dealing with 20 or more. The largest threat to a country-dweller would be the local people from a village, where everyone knows everyone else. Those are the people that could form into a large mob. In the cities people generally gather in smaller social groups. Which means less danger to a man with a shotgun. Same goes for drug dealers, they don't hag out in huge groups. They hang out in small groups, but small well armed groups. And I believe they will go for each other before coming to the countryside.

One prep I have been thinking of is cartridge mines. Easy enough to create. Get a small board of wood, with a pin stuck to it. Sit a bullet on top of the pin and fit a small tube around the bottom half of the bullet. Bury the board and most the bullet underground, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 the bullet sticking out the ground waiting for someone to step on. When they do.....BOOM that takes off their foot, possibly shattering up into their body. It gives you what I can a "Screaming Siren" that lets you know people are in the area.

Time to stock up on tacs, tubing, and shotgun cartridges/0.22 bullets, and other such things, possibly not legally aquired haha.
9 February 2012, 10:24,
Mikebratcher is spot on, this is what worries me about maybe 90% of the preppers on this sites they have a rose tinted view of what its going to be like. I think they view it that it will be like running a small holding now or having a camping trip in the wilds. You will be killed if your shoes have better laces than the other man. My plans are put them down for good.

Man by there very natural is one of the most dangerous animal on this planet killing for fun. Just think of it as a battlefield.
9 February 2012, 10:32,
(9 February 2012, 10:24)uks Wrote: Mikebratcher is spot on, this is what worries me about maybe 90% of the preppers on this sites they have a rose tinted view of what its going to be like. I think they view it that it will be like running a small holding now or having a camping trip in the wilds. You will be killed if your shoes have better laces than the other man. My plans are put them down for good.

Man by there very natural is one of the most dangerous animal on this planet killing for fun. Just think of it as a battlefield.

Totally agree.

I don't think the mob will be huge, but it will be human, and people can scheme, scam, decieve, plan, manipulate, and do all manner of terrible things.

If it was me and I had to lay seige to a home, first thing I'd do is grab one of those kids playing in the yard, point a gun at their head, and then it is no longer WROL (Without Rule of Law) because I have the kid and I would be making the law. That would be my biggest fear! Someone taking someone I knew or cared about as hostage.
9 February 2012, 16:28,
(9 February 2012, 10:24)uks Wrote: Mikebratcher is spot on, this is what worries me about maybe 90% of the preppers on this sites they have a rose tinted view of what its going to be like. I think they view it that it will be like running a small holding now or having a camping trip in the wilds. You will be killed if your shoes have better laces than the other man. My plans are put them down for good.

fair enough, anyone comes near me or mine after TSHTF gets one warning and one warning only"GET OFF MY LAND!"-always wanted to say that!Tongue