Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping for the future in your chosen retreat location
3 April 2012, 22:18,
RE: Prepping for the future in your chosen retreat location
(1 April 2012, 11:49)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Pungi sticks in a camouflaged hole is a useful device, especially if smeared with human excreta. These were used by the Vietnamese and other Commies in Asia. If the pungi sticks are coated in Excreta it poisons the blood and if the person doesn't die he generally ends up minus a leg or foot. Charming! Kenneth Eames.

This rudimentary poisioning was useful as a long term psychological threat / area denial activity and also to tie up a regular armies infrastructure in caring for the injured. In the case of prepper retreat defence, it would be of no real value, as by the time the bacteria poisioned the wounded attacker, any immediate action would be over. The punji sticks themselves would be of some use, especially a high defensive concentration in certain predetermined avenues of approach. Other simpler methods are just to have the concealed holes to act as "anklebreakers". These are even quicker to arrange & are especially effective at night to disrupt covert enemy movement.
4 April 2012, 21:50,
just like rabbit holes do lol
to win the war, you must be willing to die
5 April 2012, 13:37,
An all too real scenario and one that would require a great deal of thought and preparation based upon your own circumstance.
As the Viet Cong Punji Sticks have already been mentioned, it is also worth remembering that the Viet Cong utilised many improvised weapons (some to a greater or lesser success rate than others) in harassing the American Army but more so in protecting their Cu Chi Tunnels. One of the ploys that they used (just to waste the G.I.'s time and mame and injure as many as they could) was to heavily defend areas with improvised weapons and Punji sticks in places that had nothing that required any defenses, (this was seperate to the defenses that they placed on paths, streams, etc.) At the begining the G.I.'s had to physically make their way through to check the area out just to find there was nothing there, later they just called in air strikes. So if this were a possibility and suitable for your own situation then something along these lines could be utelised as part of your own defenses in outlying areas surrounding your own patch, after all the mob can't call in an air strike and if they sustain enough injuries getting through such defenses just to find out it was for nothing, then it may deter them from investigating other areas with similar defenses. Obviously it wouldn't deter them if they could see your vegetable plot and chicken coops as then it would be obvious that there was a reward at the end and so make them even more determined.
“From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.”
Pope John Paul II
5 April 2012, 13:56,
the trouble with any of these scenarios is, unless you live somewhere "in the middle of nowhere", with no near neighbours, in a property which isnt visible from any road, i dont think any property if fully defendable, modern property certainly isnt. although we live in a small rural town(population 1306), i say in, thats not quite right as we are 1 mile from the town centre on the parish boundary, we live in a semi detached modern rented (Housing Association) house with a small front garden and drive,on a modern housing estate, and i dont think we could defend this for very long from an organised mob. in fact OH has already said that in the event of TSHTF she wouldnt want to stay here. so if everything went "T#ts-up" i think our only option would be to Bug Out as soon as we knew everything was "going to hell in a handcart" and go to 1 of my 5 BOL's which i have already scouted for just that purpose, and keep a low profile and go for total isolation until the die off and general mayhem had died down.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 April 2012, 14:13,
Many of us have no real options. It is all theory atm. reality always has something that makes your life difficult.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin