Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Multi-tool
13 February 2012, 09:31,
Multi-tool
The multi-tool for me is one of the greatest tools ever made. I must use my multi-tool at least 3 or 4 times a day in one form or another.
As a father of a 6 year old the yoys these days are packed in such away that you need a tool kit to get the toys out of the packaging.
What do you use yours for?
14 February 2012, 23:32,
RE: Multi-tool
Been wanting to get one for a while. I dont need it for a particular reason. But the fact that they typically have blades that makes them non UK carry legal means id be unlikely to carry one.

Id use it for the usual things, cleaning my nails. Cutting fruit, opening boxes or whatever.
15 February 2012, 00:23,
(14 February 2012, 23:32)Carnebwen Wrote: Been wanting to get one for a while. I dont need it for a particular reason. But the fact that they typically have blades that makes them non UK carry legal means id be unlikely to carry one.

Id use it for the usual things, cleaning my nails. Cutting fruit, opening boxes or whatever.

I've been racking my brains about your name. The lost Cornish village.
15 February 2012, 16:40,
(15 February 2012, 00:23)uks Wrote: [quote='Carnebwen' pid='7565' dateline='1329258760']
Been wanting to get one for a while. I dont need it for a particular reason. But the fact that they typically have blades that makes them non UK carry legal means id be unlikely to carry one.

The only bladed instruments specifically prohibited under UK law are those which open under stored energy, or by gravity upon the operation of a button, or lever. (flick knives and butterfly knives)

The classification of "offensive weapon" applies to the "intent" rather than the object.

A 17 year old on an urban street, carrying a pen-knife could be prosecuted if he waved it about. But a man who has a gillie kettle and the makings of a cuppa in his car can quite legally carry ANY bladed instrument (including a machete) intended for the specific purpose of prepping wood for his cup of tea if he intends to stop on the way home and brew up at the roadside.... (locking knives are classified as fixed bladed knives under the relevant act).

If you do carry a blade for any "reasonable" purpose, you should keep it out of sight if possible and if you need to leave your vehicle at any time, you should carry the item with you, or conceal it from public view.
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
15 February 2012, 22:05, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2012, 22:13 by Carnebwen.)
(15 February 2012, 00:23)uks Wrote: [quote='Carnebwen' pid='7565' dateline='1329258760']

Im Cornish and I have a very unusual surname. Its earliest mention was in Cornwall in 1585 in the Same small town my grandad, father and myself went to school in. You can probably figure out what it is if you already found out its a lost cornish villiage.

Must have messed up the quotes and I dont appear to be able to edit.

Yeah, the name is the lost Cornish villiage.

If you found out what it is the same search will likely give you an inclination to my actual name. Especially when you couple it to the fact I am Cornish too. The name in particular earliest mention with my spelling was in 1535...*drum roll* in the same town I went to school (the same school as my dad and his dad and so on).

15 February 2012, 22:33, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2012, 22:36 by NorthernRaider.)
Why can I keep seeing posts from other members with no text ?
(14 February 2012, 23:32)Carnebwen Wrote: Been wanting to get one for a while. I dont need it for a particular reason. But the fact that they typically have blades that makes them non UK carry legal means id be unlikely to carry one.

I've been carrying all types available in the Uk for years with no trouble at all, indeed i see cops wearing them AA and RAC men wearing them, Soldiers wearing them, electricians wearing them, only trouble I had was FlyBe said i could not wear mine on a flight it had to go in my case in the hold??. Millions of them have been sold in the UK from Gerber, Victorinox, Leatherman etc

15 February 2012, 23:32,
(15 February 2012, 22:33)NorthernRaider Wrote: Why can I keep seeing posts from other members with no text ?

I've been carrying all types available in the Uk for years with no trouble at all, indeed i see cops wearing them AA and RAC men wearing them, Soldiers wearing them, electricians wearing them, only trouble I had was FlyBe said i could not wear mine on a flight it had to go in my case in the hold??. Millions of them have been sold in the UK from Gerber, Victorinox, Leatherman etc

Yeah, multi-tools are pretty well accepted now. Most sheeple/police know what they are and don't have a problem with you having them. Don't be flashing it around in public, and you'll be left alone.

I'm thinking of getting 2-3 multi tools. I'm still slightly stuck in a quandry as to what to go for. There are a few other companies I'm looking into. So I'll keep you all updated when I get mine.

The reasons for my want of the multi-tools, GHB, BOB and maybe EDC. I'm not sure about the last one. Just because, I don't have a need to use one everyday, or even every week. I work as a business development manager. We don't fix things. We call maintainance to do that. We don't cut wire, we call maintainance to do that. We don't lift anything but a phone handset, a pen, and a cup of coffee. Everything else, comes down to the maintainance team (who are greatly appreciated!)

The only time I would really need a multi tool would be bugging out, escape and evasion, getting home (maybe) and that really is about it. Sad but true.
16 February 2012, 00:00,

The only truly illegal blades in the UK are those which open under the force of gravity (butterfly knives etc) or stored energy such as spring loaded switchblades. it is also a fallacy that folding blades that can be opened single handed are illegal.

items with a folding (but not locking) blades less than 3.5" in length are not regarded as unlawful in any case unless they are being used in a threatening, or intimidatory manner, so most multi-tools are fine under UK law at all times.

Under UK law, it's the "intent" that governs the legality rather than the type of blade (except the two previously mentioned) and you are legally entitled to carry ANY type of bladed item, so long as you have a valid reason for doing so (bushcraft, work, carving etc)

A seventeen year old waving a 2" penknife about in an urban street could find himself in trouble, but a person who intends to perform ANY bushcraft related activity is legally permitted to carry a fixed, or manually folding knife of any length unless a police officer can prove that it is not appropriate to the activity concerned... So the fact that I often stop and brew up using my pocket stove makes it perfectly legal for me to carry my 4.5" lock knife for prepping feather sticks Etc and If I am going somewhere where the availability of small twigs may be low, or if I might want to build a fire, or temporary shelter Etc. I can carry a machete, parang, or even a felling axe if I so desire .... (locking knives are classified as fixed bladed knives for the purpose of the relevant act of parliament governing bladed and pointed articles)
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
16 February 2012, 11:30,
That is true but it is wooly descriptions like that that cause problems. Valid means different things to plod than it does to us. Personally, I'm happy with my small blade and I would go to court over it if necessary. Do not accept a caution as it counts as a conviction.

Too many of our laws are stupid and the output from people who do not think clearly.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 February 2012, 12:06,
When I used to ride a motorcycle we used to do both the Cleveland and Durham polices annual riding competitions and most of us had multi tools on our belts including the RT cops, they were not bothered one iota.