Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cost of food
15 February 2012, 07:16,
RE: Cost of food
BP, Unfortunately, we only have a Tesco and Coop here and its 140 miles to Glasgow. These stores can charge what they want and there is nothing we can do about it. Kenneth Eames.
15 February 2012, 18:08,
Our village's corner shop's new owner rents (for 90% of their wage) the storage cupboard above to two "students" from his ancestral village in somethingstan. And he put 30% (across the board) on top of what the previous owner charged for everything....

At the beginning of last year he and his wife shared a secondhand Vectra... He now drives a Porsche Cayenne! And his wife has a big Merc... Both new...

No prizes for guessing which thieving raider is going first WSHTF?
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
15 February 2012, 18:23,
(15 February 2012, 18:08)Preacher Wrote: Our village's corner shop's new owner rents (for 90% of their wage) the storage cupboard above to two "students" from his ancestral village in somethingstan. And he put 30% (across the board) on top of what the previous owner charged for everything....

At the beginning of last year he and his wife shared a secondhand Vectra... He now drives a Porsche Cayenne! And his wife has a big Merc... Both new...

we have a small Co-op in our small town, guess where i'm going to raid first WTSHTF before i bother going an extra 10 miles to our nearest larger supermarket?Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2012, 18:56,
(15 February 2012, 18:08)Preacher Wrote: Our village's corner shop's new owner rents (for 90% of their wage) the storage cupboard above to two "students" from his ancestral village in somethingstan. And he put 30% (across the board) on top of what the previous owner charged for everything....

He sounds like a smart man.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

15 February 2012, 19:12,
(15 February 2012, 18:56)Reality Jones Wrote:

not smart, just greedy, +30%??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2012, 19:36,
(15 February 2012, 19:12)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 February 2012, 18:56)Reality Jones Wrote:

not smart, just greedy, +30%??

Sometimes greed is good, look at what he has achieved in very little time. If he was a prepper he would be able to buy his own little bit of land in the countryside and start to stock it with all he needs why the rest of us struggle on.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

15 February 2012, 20:19,

I used to work for Nestle, and you'd be AMAZED by how much a typical corner shop turns over each month. I'm going to set up my own business and do what I can, but if I had 1/3 of a million pounds, I'd get a cornershop, straight off!!!
21 February 2012, 10:41,
I was chatting to Brother in law yesterday about food costs. He works for ASDA in the bakery. Rather than put their prices up, the rolls and morning goods made in-store have reduced in weight by 15%. Same price smaller size or they are overprooved to make them look the same size.
Secret price rises like this have been going on for ages. A few years ago tins beans, tomatoes etc were 450g, now they are 400g so it's not just visible price increases you need to check.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
21 February 2012, 11:19,
(21 February 2012, 10:41)TOF Wrote: I was chatting to Brother in law yesterday about food costs. He works for ASDA in the bakery. Rather than put their prices up, the rolls and morning goods made in-store have reduced in weight by 15%. Same price smaller size or they are overprooved to make them look the same size.
Secret price rises like this have been going on for ages. A few years ago tins beans, tomatoes etc were 450g, now they are 400g so it's not just visible price increases you need to check.

That's a VERY good point!

I know it's a weird example, but I noticed the size of sweets decreasing dramatically. Cream eggs used to be 4 for £1 and they were much bigger than they are now. That is an example of a double price bump.
21 February 2012, 23:01,
Ive been buying shity quality best/smart price/own brand crap for years. Even the bottom of the range Co-op stuff that was 47p a can a couple of years ago is now about 67p now. I wont pay that for a single can of soup! The large blocks of ham I used to also buy for £3 are now £4.60 ish.

It's bollocks. I now trudge into town to buy £30 worth of the Saisnburys 25p stuff instead.