Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient seeds longevity
24 December 2012, 20:20,
RE: Ancient seeds longevity
Go for what you can afford & can realistically store. Nothing wrong with buying 2 or 3 packs at a time if its all you can manage. ALWAYS check the dates on the back though. Some companies sell old stock before putting the new stock out. Or at least a certain company did when I worked there 10 years ago.
24 December 2012, 23:40,
If you are planning on growing stuff after any SHTF, you should be growing now - I would say you should be growing at least 50% now of what you would be planning to grow post SHTF, it would be hard to more than double what you cultivate. You need to get your land in good heart and get your growing skills going now.

Think about the things that anyone growing decent amounts now buys in. I buy in a couple of sacks of pelleted chicken manure, couple of sacks of blood, fish and bone, couple of bags of dried blood, 1/4 - 1/2 ton of potting compost depending on what I need that year.

Sure, I could get away without these, but I would not be as successful. Post SHTF I would be composting ALL of my waste however so that would add something back.

As for seeds, if you are going to buy in bulk, rather than buying small packets, go to a company like this.

http://www.tozerseeds.com/

Some stuff from there you pay 1/6th of what you would on gardeners seed supply sites, garden centres and so on.
25 December 2012, 00:34,
I am not a Gardener now, but I used to be very keen a few years back, so I have the skills,.. but you are right, the ground I have would not be the best.

The only thing is that I have lost the urge to garden, I just dont have the time at the moment,.. but its something I would need to re-visit if an emergency was to happen
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 December 2012, 07:18,
I used to garden but Arthritis in my spine has put paid to that. I have found several areas where the Forestry have banks in the woods where I have secret gardens. I would however, need more banks of soil if our world turned pear shape. I keep a good store of pain killers for when the shtf. Kenneth Eames.