• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would you do?
22 March 2012, 00:18,
RE: What would you do?
aw thanks nr your always welcome in northumberland/cumbria
to win the war, you must be willing to die
20 May 2012, 23:56,
Part of my prep IS in looking after friends and family. My wife and kid would come first of course, but I wouldn't be sitting there saying 'I told you so' and letting people die. I don't feel people who don't prep deserve to be punished. Not everyone has that type of mind, it doesn't make them evil.

I would take them in, and teach them how to be usful to themselves and to me. The chances are that part of my plan would be to check on them and sort them out with a source of water etc. at some point any way.

There are always some situations where this wouldn't be possible, but that can be said of any scenario.

I am wodering how many of the people taliking tough actualy would be that way if a relative really did show up?

If the only people who survive the next 'situation' really are that cold, then then I dread the world populated by their descendants. But I actually think that there is more warmth under those grumpy exteriors than is being let on Wink
21 May 2012, 11:46,
As a species we are generally kind hearted and quite simple. That is how the government manipulates us so easily. Giving aid to Africa is a good example. It does nothing yet we feel good about it. We ignore the starvation and torture because we have done what we can.

You are right abour people turning up. I like to think I can help where I can but there are lines I will not cross. My family comes first. So I wouldn't turn a relative away automatically but I wouldn't just take them in fully either. Depends on so many things. Situation with scavangers, food supplies, what they bring to the table.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 May 2012, 11:57,
i dont think its something that will arise in my case, parents and in-laws are all deceased, SIL is nearest 13 miles away but she's talking about going back to London to live...family reasons..., step daughter, husband and 2 kids live in Barnstaple, 25 miles away, i'd be very surprised if they came here...as we dont have the room..could fit them in the BOL..if they made it..dont think they would as i expect the roads to be impassable with abandoned and broken down vehicles..i suppose they may be able to make it by bicycle.....i just dont think it would occur to them to come here though!! so i just dont think it would be something i would have to consider....and before anyone says "what about the neighbours?" they can all go to hell(the neighbours i meanBig Grin) there isnt a single one of them i would want to save..there are a few i'd be glad to see the back off, as i keep to the greyman principle none of them know we have "stuff".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 May 2012, 12:19,
(22 February 2012, 19:46)Instructor Wrote: Testing your morals and ethics the situation is this. You have prepped for you your wife and kids, you actually have everything that you require to surive.
Then a relative turns up with his wife and kids expecting you to feed tham and offer them a roof. So what do you do?

So mr Instructor, you come on here - ask a question as your first post, don't respond to any replies and are never heard from again. It is timewasters or spooks like you we don't need!!
21 May 2012, 13:22,
Not sure if its the same chap but someone suggested to me that this chap is a far right activist for the BNP, I could be wrong though so he may be very busy with his political activities? and got side tracked.

21 May 2012, 14:22,
As its only my son and myself I don't really have that worry but if another prepper turn't up at my door and I knew them well enough to trust them I would take them in and help in any way I could
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
21 May 2012, 19:54, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2012, 20:17 by Tonka.)
(21 May 2012, 12:19)Timelord Wrote: So mr Instructor, you come on here - ask a question as your first post, don't respond to any replies and are never heard from again. It is timewasters or spooks like you we don't need!!

Good point. He may be a hit and run forum Nazi... but it certainly was an interesting question.
(21 May 2012, 11:57)bigpaul Wrote: ..and before anyone says "what about the neighbours?" they can all go to hell(the neighbours i meanBig Grin) there isnt a single one of them i would want to save..there are a few i'd be glad to see the back off, as i keep to the greyman principle none of them know we have "stuff".

I don't think my neighbours will live long enough to see TSHTF, they are mostly advanced in years. However my immediate neighbour had dedicated most of his garden to growing his own food. So I am already considering working together.

I can't really be a 'grey man'. I just seem to be naturally noticeable. My Dad would stand at a bar for ever waiting to get served, then I go up and people I have never met before shout "Tonka, hey, what can I get you". This is a blessing and a curse.

Several of my friends have actually said "if (insert scenario here) happens, I'm coming straight round to you" I think this is a half joke... but I would help them. That doesn't mean giving away all my supplies, but I would help appropriately for the situation... and if I can use them to my advantage. A friend in need... is a friend who owes you BIG.

Oh, a nd one advantage of your family at least knowing you are a prepper, is that your mum buys you night vision for xmas!
But I do think the grey man principle is very wise... I just can't personally get away with it.
21 May 2012, 23:57,
Rainbow  RE: What would you do?
When I told my son I wanted an air rifle for my birthday he mumbled something along the lines of when hell freezes over something about counselling and a psychiatrist
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
22 May 2012, 01:12,
(21 May 2012, 23:57)Pagan-Mist Wrote: When I told my son I wanted an air rifle for my birthday he mumbled something along the lines of when hell freezes over something about counselling and a psychiatrist

Perhaps he knows a psychiatric counsellor with an air rifle for sale?

Air rifles are bloody expensive these days though. I remember saving up my pocket money to get a Webley & Scott in the 80's. They are not pocket money prices now. Guitars however are 10 a penny now. Not that a guitar is a useful survival tool... but um... now's probably a good time for me to stop rambling Confused