Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would you do?
22 May 2012, 01:25,
RE: What would you do?
Not the musical type I'm afraid lol, I did mention a crossbow and he went white so guess I'm going to settle for odds and sods for my preps
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
7 June 2012, 12:33,
Depends what they bring to the table.
Do they have relevant or adaptable skills, did they bring even a small measure of their own supplies or ability to protect themselves?

My own relatives; some might prove useful, others not so much or at all.

I'd likely turn them away, not out of malice but necessity.
"Wicked phenomenon, yes? But, you know, it’s not any more "evil" than, say… fire. It all depends on your point of view. Try to get a better understanding of things before you make your judgement."
17 June 2012, 13:49,
If its a relative I get along with I would take them in especially if bugging in - safety in numbers

However, if its a relative I don't get along with and I know for a fact is a nightmare (I already know one) to live with on a normal day far less in an emergency situation, I would get them some food and tools and send them on their way. I would not leave them empty handed but I would not put my family at risk particularly for a relative that I know will be very distructive to my environment and add nothing to the mix but grief.

I have done multi-bucket preps (buckets with 8 x8 mylar with various items in each bucket) for family which I can give and send on their way if need be
18 June 2012, 19:45,
i would bring them in only if they have something to offer, if the mum and dad can do something i cannot then great. If they have something i can use even better. Or if im on my own 3 more hands and eyes to keep the home safe from other, after all if your farming a few more hands will make it easyer. But if they are just for your food send them away with only enough food to feed the kids a few days
29 October 2012, 11:31,
(22 February 2012, 19:46)Instructor Wrote: ...Then a relative turns up with his wife and kids expecting you to feed tham and offer them a roof. So what do you do?

Be quiet and don't answer the door, commonly known as the "I'M ALL RIGHT JACK" strategy..Wink

29 October 2012, 11:57,
cant see any of our lot turning up, Step Daughter and family are too straight for words, not sheeple as such but not far off, dont think they will even think of coming here, more likely to head for her fathers place in Cornwall. Sister in law reckons she is going to share with neighbours and they will share with her!...i reckon she'll be dead within a week! so i reckon we'll be on our own.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 October 2012, 12:00,
I'd laugh and ask them if they had anything they could share. Then say "I thought you were the government coming to save US. The government will come for us. It's best you get home. You don't want to be here and miss them knocking on your door."
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 October 2012, 13:38,
Personally I would let them in & share preps with my extended family. I know it'll exhaust the reserves quicker but I believe in safety in numbers, as long as its someone you can trust. Extra eyes to keep watch, someone extra for defence incase someone wants to help themselves to my stores. Plus extra people to have conversations with will be a real morale booster in my eyes.
29 October 2012, 13:45,
It depends on their skill set and our relationship. I have a cousin who is a doctor... he's in! I have another who is an Actuary.... ummm a few tins of food, a list of edible plants/berries and on your way....!!!
To be honest I think I would let them all in if they are family... but I would ration... and they would have to earn their keep in one way or other!
29 October 2012, 17:15,
in my case i am already prepping for all my daughters and their dependants, my load is heavy enough now! but the honest truth is ...i won,t know till it happens..but i know it would have to be temp