Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Blackberry port
24 February 2012, 09:11,
Blackberry port
Just open my first bottle of home made blackberry port. Its got that port smell and taste but with a blackberry taste. Is it good i should say so 3 of us drank a bottle and we all have head aches this morning. Its bad news when something taste of just of the fruit its made from. Good job i have not not got any work to do today.
Failure is NOT an option
24 February 2012, 09:42,
RE: Blackberry port
(24 February 2012, 09:11)uks Wrote: Its bad news when something taste of just of the fruit its made from. Good job i have not not got any work to do today.

There's quite a few of's and not's in those last 2 sentences. Still feeling the effects maybe? haha.
24 February 2012, 11:45,
Let's have the recipe then.One that has a review is always worth having.

I'll wait till the effects have worn off though.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 February 2012, 14:08,

My worst experience was Cranberry Vodka. Who would have thought stuff that tastes like fruit juice could do so much damage. My knees went numb and I was talking a whole different language to everyone else.

Recipe.
1L cheapo Vodka
8oz Cranberries
4oz Sugar

Prick Cranberries all over and place in a jar. Pour over Vodka and add sugar. Shake jar gently each day. After 4 weeks strain and bottle. Ready to drink after a couple weeks.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
25 February 2012, 20:06,
8 lb ripe blackberries
1/2 pt red grape concentrate
1/2 cup light dry malt
1 &3/4 lb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tsp acid blend
5 to 5-1/2 pt water (depends of size of berries)
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/2 ts. yeast energizer
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt. Lalvin K1-V1116 (Montpellier) or a port wine yeast

Crush blackberries and strain through a straining bag straight into the fermentation bucket. Tie up the straining bag and leave in the bucket.
Keep stirring in all other ingredients EXCEPT the pectic enzyme, yeast and red grape concentrate. Continusely stirring to dissolve sugar, fit the cover and leave for 12 hours. After 12 hours add the pectic enzyme, place the lid back on and leave for another 12 hours.
After 24 hours add the yeast and cover with the lid. Stir daily and press the pulp in the straining bag to get the maximum flavour. After 5 days the SP (specific gravty) should be about 1.030, strain juice from straining bag and then siphon off liquer into a fermentation barrel. Fit an airlock and put aside for two months. By this time the port is clear and well past last evidence of fermentation, add red grape concentrate, and leave for another 3 weeks. Now bottle allow to mature for a couple of months and drink. I have been told that this can be left for a few years and will only improve even more with time.
Failure is NOT an option
26 February 2012, 07:02,
I look forward to the Blackberry season this year. Will definitely brew some of this for when we have to bug out. In the meantime, will need to stock up on other ingredients in preperation for a survival situation. Kenneth Eames.
28 March 2013, 16:31,
2Kilos of brambles. 200-230g sugar. 1 Bottle of whiskey (not good malt.... just a normal blend).
Wash and dry brambles. Put them in a demijohn or similar. Add the sugar and whiskey. lid on. Shake every day until sugar disolves (about 4-5 days). Leave for 3 months in a cool dark place. Decant the liquid into a clean/sterile kilner jar or similar. (Keep the fruit.... delicious with vanilla ice cream). leave for a year or more.
Enjoy! The longer you keep it the better it gets, but at least a year.
carefull though it stains worse than any liquid ever made.
Mar sin leat
28 March 2013, 16:33,
i prefer my blackberrys in a crumble!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 March 2013, 17:34,
(28 March 2013, 16:33)bigpaul Wrote: i prefer my blackberrys in a crumble!!Big Grin

And the crumble is ready to consume in two hours!