Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Light Weight Shoe Review, Vibram 5 Finger
5 April 2012, 19:34,
RE: Light Weight Shoe Review, Vibram 5 Finger
Here's a good question for you WnC, what shoes do you have in/attached to, your GHB?

Let's be fair. The main thing with a GHB is ability to travel. Which, to me, says running shoes.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 April 2012, 20:16,
(5 April 2012, 19:34)Scythe13 Wrote: Here's a good question for you WnC, what shoes do you have in/attached to, your GHB?

I used to have the Salomon Exit 2 GTX as GHB shoe and admit my thinking was out, I went for strength of trainer over weight and speed, but my reason is I am a boot man I wear often many heavy type boots, I guess the Salomon felt light when you compare.

Up until few weeks when I decided to start running did I really notice heavy trainers like Salomon just don't cut it, I used to walk near on every night and even wear them in the woods most days during the warmer months, but now I run twice daily and modern running shoes own.

Let's be fair. The main thing with a GHB is ability to travel. Which, to me, says running shoes.

Yes my reeboks are now my GHB shoe, and if that changes over tested time I will post and say.

5 April 2012, 20:24,
(5 April 2012, 20:16)WetandCold Wrote: Yes my reeboks are now my GHB shoe, and if that changes over tested time I will post and say.

I take it you have a pair attached to the bag?

I've got a drop bag with my GHB, which is basically a small change of clothes, and I'm getting a bumbag to add to it, with a couple of items in. It's not a fashion show, so I don't mind looking like a bit of a spoon with a bumbag.
5 April 2012, 20:40,
I carry my shoes outside my GHB one on left side other right, I reckon my reeboks could go inside the bag will test when I get round to it, only just got them today an all that.

I carry torch and water which is also a water filter and food along with socks wicker t shirts few other bits nothing more than basic, if I travel more than 30 miles I take with me truck GHB that is depended on time of year and as said distance of journey from my home, as to what I will pack.

Btw my kids all have their own, and like me know what to take dependent on journey and season, I swear this survivalism is very good bonding for family’s and gets our young thinking.
5 April 2012, 21:53,
That's the way to do it WnC!

I'm a Scout Leader now, and I'm using the same basic survival skills to help the kids learn respect and things like that.

As for the shoes on the bag....that's how I have mine set up. One on each side of the GHB. The only difference is that I'm having my drop-bag on my GHB kitted for winter, no matter what season we're in. The basic reason is that if something happens and I get home, what's to say that my house won't be burned down? I'm playing it safe, and probably too cautious. But I'd rather be super cautious than regretful.
5 April 2012, 23:18, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2012, 23:24 by Nemesis.)
Have you ever considered a vest, I have 3 British army ones and a South African all packed with different gear, I have bum bags snugpak ones I am not keen on bum bags though.

These are quite good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugpak-Response...B001ADW58Q

South African Defence Force Assault / Combat Vest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-South...337400ec30

For when I need bit more kit I have 3 of these packed British army assault vest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-G...%26ps%3D54

Just to add all my Brit vest allow me to connect a 3 Litre Camelbak

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/ind...08&from=43
6 April 2012, 00:56,
They look pretty good, but I'm just not feeling the vest thing. It's the principle of ease of transport that makes the bag appeal more to me. Also, because I've got no experience in vests (other than gym vests) it kind of puts me off. Whenever I've ran with a big bag, the belt strap takes LOADS of pressure off my chest, which allows for easier breathing. However, I reckon that a fully loaded vest could add a load of extra pressure on my chest making breathing while running much harder than need be. But as I've said, I've not got experience with vests, so I'm only speculating.

Bum-Bag will be on the back, not the front, but it's just a way to get some extra stuff on me. It'll be holding a set of thermals and that kind of thing. The Snug-Pak you showed looks ideal! Thanks mate.
6 April 2012, 12:48,
Scythe,

Armiy grunts and experienced hunters all over the world use vests. That must make then worth a try for you. I have a couple myself. Keep you warm, key tools on hand and you can drop all your bags to escape and still have your key tools.

I would be more inclined to try them and see what you think before you buy some new fangled tools like the Annihilator
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 April 2012, 13:10,
(6 April 2012, 12:48)Skean Dhude Wrote: Scythe,

Armiy grunts and experienced hunters all over the world use vests. That must make then worth a try for you. I have a couple myself. Keep you warm, key tools on hand and you can drop all your bags to escape and still have your key tools.

I would be more inclined to try them and see what you think before you buy some new fangled tools like the Annihilator

That's all fair. I agree with what you're saying.

For me, because I have something that I know works, I want to get that system finished and squared off. Once it's squared off, that's when I'll work on adapting it with vests and things like that. If that makes sense?
6 April 2012, 13:53,
If I was in your situation before I finalised any system I would try out all the bits, in this case the vest. If it doesn't work throw it my way Smile You can then finish the complete system to your needs.

Obviously the choice is your but there is a reason the army, SWAT teams, Plod, hunters and preppers world wide use vests. Hell,W&C and I use them also. That must tell you something.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin