Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What if the lights go out, (US article)
25 February 2012, 13:24,
What if the lights go out, (US article)
http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-05/ma...arking-lot

25 February 2012, 15:58,
RE: What if the lights go out, (US article)
I think to be able to manage without electricity you have to of had very little to begin with.
When I was a kid there wer no personal computers, no playstations etc.
You had to make your own entertainment which in my case was exploring the local woods on my bike etc.
For christmas I had one main present, maybe a new bike af I were lucky that type of thing.
Kids and adults alike are spoilt today with a wealth of technology, and I myself have a mobile and a p.c. Others have significantly more.
Now whilst I like my p.c. and spouting my nonsense online and I like my mobile, I dont need them and would be quite happy without them. You just have to go back to the old way of doing things.
BUT therein lies the rub, modern children and young adults havent got an old way to do things, they dont know what to do if the electric or the gas goes off. They cant manage without a mobile because without it they cant talk to people. Theres reports going on about bussinesses having to send people to classes to learn how to TALK in english not text speak. We my friends are the last of the pioneers who know how to do things and are self reliant, yes there are young people like us but they're getting fewer and fewer they cant function withouyt technology or power. What would they do without east enders. big brother etc.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
25 February 2012, 16:09,
damn right Mike, kids these days have to be entertained-they have to have ORGANISED entertainment, in my day we entertained ourselves, my parents didnt have much money and anyway there wasnt much in the way or organised stuff anyway, about the only one i can remember is The Boy Scouts of which i was a member, the rest of the time we walked in the woods, walked in the streams, swung off trees on a rope, went for a bike road, went fishing etc etc, none of which actually cost any money. i didnt have a mobile phone until 12 years ago and our pc, our only pc, we didnt get until 2 years ago, before that i used one in the library. modern kids dont know there born these days and WTSHTF they are going to be stumped without their technology.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 February 2012, 17:15,
Guys,

Certain kids have to be entertained. Many don't and look after themselves. It is just so easy to put them in front of a TV and leave them to look after themselves.

I've just spent all morning playing cards with a six year old, teaching her card tricks and playing hangman. She loves that as well but she will sit and watch Hannah Montana for hours as well if nobody is there to play. She is too young to go out on her own.

They will soon adapt. The transition won't be easy though and we should make sure that there is something for them if we are staying under the radar.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 February 2012, 07:18,
There will be some problems that we will have to face. There are no fire places in modern housing. In the flat in which I live it is only electric. I do have camping stoves which will enable cooking. I have two wind up lanterns, candles for light. Heating will be the problem but this can be sorted by a gas heater, which I must buy. You will probably think of other things. Kenneth Eames.
26 February 2012, 07:31,
Kenneth that should not be a problem get one of those frontier stoves when the time comes knock a hole thorough an outside wall and put the flue thorough instant heat and cooking. Here is just one link.

http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves...ier-stove/

I remember going out in the morning going home for lunch and then going out again after lunch until tea time. Because we lived in a small village of less than 40 houses everyone was knowed to me and you could get a glass of water at anyone of these houses. Making den, fishing, playing football etc. Those were the days totally free and simple fun no TPTB stopping us from being children like there is today.
I
Failure is NOT an option
26 February 2012, 11:31,
Children nowerdays are the new medicated.

Previously an unwell person would recieve medication to make them healthy again.

Then mentally ill people were medicated to get them sane, or at least make them manageable in an asylum.

Years late the elderly were medicated to keep them quiet.

Then drug addicts were medicated to get them off the drugs.

Next came the kids who are medicated to keep them quiet, get them to conform. Nowerdays they are being iMedicatred. Like iPods, but with technological-drugs.

The thing that gets me is what SD said, that it's easier to put kids infront of a TV. That is the new medication. When a child is being loud, parents put on the TV and the child is hypnotised. They remain transfixed until the TV is turned off. When it is turned off though, they get angry and want it back on. TV is a drug. TV is the new heroin. The same is of the internet and Facebook. Close down a kids facebook account and they'll tell you that they hate you, and then they won't speak to you for ages. I'm serious about this, try it. Wait......probably best you don't. They could very well turn massively violent!

Kids don't know better, but many parents didn't have the advantages of love and free time. Everyone is someone's child. Many of the parents of the iGeneration simply didn't learn how to hang out with kids and become a fantastic rolemodel. What they had was the government telling them how to behave and how to look after their children. I hate to say it, but a child having freedom is hardly heard of anymore.

I used to play in the woods when I was a kid. Remember that day when you buy a blackwidow catapult and start shooting stones around and all that? Yeah, me too. But most kids don't have those opportunities, or the level of responsibility to do such things.

If I ever have kids, they'll be learning to use, respect, and accept the responsibility of having a knife. When it comes to other things, damn right they'll be taught, skilled, and responsible enough for those things as well.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 February 2012, 11:48,
Which is what im teaching my 6 year old, how to be a child.
Failure is NOT an option
26 February 2012, 15:00,
(26 February 2012, 11:48)uks Wrote: Which is what im teaching my 6 year old, how to be a child.

Damn right mate! Good on you.

Teach them to build a shed! Let them use a hammer to build their own place, and things like that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 February 2012, 19:31,
Thats what kids were made for parental slave labour *ahem* No seriaously I pass on my knowledge to my kids showing them what I know thats after all what a parents supposd to do.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."