Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is it really Bows or Guns??
3 March 2012, 21:35,
RE: Is it really Bows or Guns??
We need both.

Bows and arrows were not even the first ranged weapons we moved on to those and as we evolved our technology we moved on to guns. They are more sophisticated and therefore require a more sophisticated technology to build and supply ammunition for. However, technology is not forgotten but mere unable to be applied and eventually we will run out of primers, gunpowder, cartridges and will be forced back to blackpowder weapons or bows and arrows which we can easily make.

So may view is save the better technology for what we need it for and get most of our hunting with older technology, bows, spears, snares and rocks because when it is gone it will be gone.

I have several crossbows and looking at bows for my stores and I have several air rifles and licensed weapons as well. I like to have overlap.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 March 2012, 21:52,
If you are in a SHTF situiation and you are out shunting and hootingSmile if you run out of fire arms ammo you are bolloxed, if you run out of arrows or bolts you get your knife out and start wittling.

3 March 2012, 22:46,
remember people we are not letting off thousands of rounds of ammo here' one shot ie. a deer will put meat on the table for a long time and .22 lr with a mod on is as quiet as any air rifle .If for some reason you get in a fire fight then things will change but on the whole i would rather be with than with out and i also have bow's and crossbow

b/d
3 March 2012, 23:08,
I spent as much time as possible avoiding hostile contact, not seeking it, and after TSHTf I will continue that practise.

4 March 2012, 02:13,
Thankyou everyone for the debate. I know it is one that has been tackled many times over the years, but it is nice to have it listed for reference. The many points of view from different people, citing the positive & negative points is most useful for consideration - especially for newbies and experienced alike. I think it brings up new avenues of approach for us all. Regards, TL.
18 June 2012, 19:26,
if you cannot get a gun then a bow is the next best thing! isnt it better to have something to shoot at distance rather then nothing. Prep with what you can get, until you can get better
18 June 2012, 19:42,
i dont think one is better than the other, but post SHTF when i can no longer get pellets for my air rifle and i've used up all my stock, i can still make arrows for my bow as long as there are still trees around.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 June 2012, 00:45,
Find a way to make your own pellets or get an air powered gun that uses lead ball instead of pellets, so that you can always make your own lead ammo out of lead that is all around us in our modern society. Then you can keep the air weapon going indefinitly - as long as the engineering is robust enough in the first place.Smile
21 June 2012, 14:14,
I can make a bow today, without breaking any laws
I can practice with a bow today, without breaking any laws
I know pretty well where to get all the bits I need to make bows and arrows indefinitely into the future. While I know what is required to make black-powder, I've no idea where to find one of the chemicals components.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
22 June 2012, 00:53,
You should be able to find what you need with a little research. It is even available on ebay come to that! There are alternative substances that can be pressed into service. Just a little reading up is needed - like most things. This is no arcane art anymore - it is all old hat now. An explosives licence is needed to store "black powder but you can make up small quantities for experimentation and immediate use without needing a licence. Pyrodex & other substitutes do not require a licence and so therefore neither will similar home made experimental propellents as long as they do not result in certain substances/classes of explosives. Other than black powder and associated equivalents, a propellent does not classify as an explosive. Not that they can't be swapped around, but the two are different classes of substances and so different laws apply (or not apply as may be the case)
I am glad you with your bow & us with our boom sticks, are not breaking any laws. Regards, TL.