21 March 2013, 14:04,
RE: Polly Tunnel
dont forget that tomato plants and mary j look similar when young
heheheheheh
21 March 2013, 15:14,
AWESOME!!!

Great work mate.

Can I make a quick suggestion? The cluster of trees in the South-Facing photo, are they blocking much light, or do they play another part of your garden plans? I'd cut them down, but then again, I'm a bit machete and tree hungry at the moment haha.

You could EASILY make a few quick base panels to put silverfoil or mirrors on and line them against the trees on the North side. They'd stay hidden as well, having the tunnel on one side and trees on the other.

Good work getting the poly so tight. It's really difficult, and unless you have the stuff you can drill into, it's near impossible to get it tighter.

Inside, are you having raised beds? I knew a guy that had raised beds and composted underneath them. It didn't smell particularly delicious, but the composting process released a whole load of heat!!! Made winter much more bearable on the plants he said. I would have used the advantage of the raised beds as a way to place solar panels against the side of the tunnel without blocking light from getting in, and then used the electricity to work a small storage heater......speaking of which, are you going to have a 'heavy stone' floor to make the most of the solar gain and thermal mass? Can you tell I've spent LOADS of time planning my tunnel? I'm going for raised beds, based around a thermal mass rocket heater/oven/furnace. Will be a LONG project, but well worth it, I believe.

Very impressed with the work mate!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 March 2013, 15:45,
Thanks guys,..

S13,... if you look to the right of the trees, there is a mountain, its bigger than it looks because it is part covered in cloud, but the sun rises over that mountain,.. the trees themselves help to keep the house out of view from the road to some degree.... there is also an Oak tree there that I wouldn't touch anyway.

On the north side of the tunnel, I have a roll of silver foil bubble wrap, I put it onto the frame before the plastic, it does show up in the photo as a dark roll, but when the sun shines its a great help, and does reflex a lot of light back from that side,... I should have taken a photo of that roll earlier,..I still might later

I am not really having raised beds, but because I built it on a slope, then I had to dig into the slope on one side and move that soil across to the other,.... so you could say I have one side as a raised bed

While I was waiting for the right day to put the plastic on, I double dug a large trailer load of horse muck, something I can get massive amounts of if needed.... free.

No to heat,...and the other, what ever it was....lol....Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 March 2013, 23:54,
nice build dude,
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson